Groton house fire extinguished

Groton – No one was hurt in a fire late this afternoon that broke out in a Godfrey Road home after a fireplace malfunctioned.

Fire trucks and emergency vehicles from Groton City and other area departments s responded to 40 Godfrey Rd., but by 5:40 p.m. the fire appeared to be out. Marilyn Meaias, who said she was in the house along with her mother and two other family members, said the fire started when the family’s 55-year-old fireplace malfunctioned.

Meaias said the fireplace, which is the family’s only source of heat, was dirty. The fire spread into the kitchen from coal that was on top of the fireplace, said Meaias, who added that only the kitchen seems to be damaged.

Her mother’s five dogs are safe, said Meaias, including one that was pulled from under the sofa by a firefighter.

Hide Comments

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments