UPDATED: Woman dies after being burned in Old Lyme fire
Old Lyme — An elderly woman badly burned in a Saturday night fire on Lyme Street died this afternoon, according to Fire Marshal Dave Roberge.
The woman, whose name has not yet been released, was flown by Life Star helicopter to Bridgeport Hospital after the fire.
First Selectwoman Bonnie Reemsnyder said this morning that officials are still awaiting confirmation from the family about the woman's name.
The fire was reported at around 8:25 p.m. at 7 Lyme St., a two-story condominium complex that is part of an association that includes Boxwood Apartments on the same street. The victim, who others at the scene identified as a woman in her mid-90s, lives alone in a first-floor unit, according to Old Lyme Fire Department spokesman Johny Cody.
Roberge said the fire was accidental and originated in the kitchen stove, which ignited the woman’s clothes.
Other residents were attempting to help the woman when firefighters arrived at the scene, he said.
At about 10 p.m., firefighters broke a window at the front of the structure to give firefighters an extra egress area. At one point earlier, firefighters had been ordered out of the building as officials worried about flare-ups.
Cody said it took about 15 to 20 minutes to put out the flames.
The house has four one-bedroom condominium units, though only three are occupied, according to Cody. He didn't know how many other people were in the building at the time of the fire but said everyone else got out without injuries.
Cody said only two of the four units were affected by the fire. Both of the units were in the back of the building, where a gaping hole in the roof created by firefighters was still releasing smoke late into the night.
The Old Lyme, Essex, East Lyme, Old Saybrook, Westbrook and Deep River fire departments responded to the blaze. No firefighters were injured.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA