Local roundup: Fitch routs Bacon Academy 33-8
Groton - Terrell Scholle rushed for 218 yards and three touchdowns as Fitch High School cruised to a 33-8 football victory over Bacon Academy on Friday night at Dorr Field.
Schoole carried only 13 times and averaged 16.8 yards per-carry for the Falcons (4-6), scoring on runs of 33, 86 and 45, the final two coming during a 19-point third quarter that broke the game open.
In addition, Robert Duncan threw touchdown passes to Devante Anderson (four yards) and John Moscol (nine yards) for the Falcons.
• East Lyme's Caroline Gonsalves finished third in the State Open 1-meter diving competition at Plainville High School. Gonsalves finished with 374.65 points and wound up behind Rachel Burston of Westhill (441.45) and Kylie Towbin of New Canaan (434.50). Also for the Vikings, Hanna Suarez placed 10th with 317.50 points and Annemarie Durham was 16th with 298.15 points.
• Rashid Epps scored 15 points as Wesleyan defeated Coast Guard Academy 58-48 in the opening round of the Herb Kenny Tip-Off Tournament in Middletown. It was the season opener for both. Junior David Anderson led Coast Guard with 18 points while classmate Eli Sponseller had a career-high 15 points and senior Devonte Weems finished with nine. The Bears struggled at the foul line, making just 10 of 22 and missing six straight when they trailed by only six points with just over two minutes to play.
• Joshua Ford had 18 points and 10 rebounds as Mitchell College routed Albany Pharmacy 102-52 in the opening round of its season-opening tournament. The Mariners will play Albertus Magnus in today's final. Marcus Vereen came off the bench to add 14 for Mitchell, including four 3-pointers, and Devonta Mosley had 12.
• Francis Kiapway scored a game-high 22 points as St. Thomas More opened its season with a 117-77 victory over Rise Academy. Kiapway also had three assists for T-More while Cane Broome had 16 points, nine assists and three rebounds, Eric Paschall 17 points and three rebounds and Joshua Williams 12 points, four rebounds and three assists.
• Ten local players will play for the Region 1 team in Sunday's Connecticut Soccer Coaches' Association Senior Bowl at Middletown High School. The team will play a group of Region 2 all-stars at 2 p.m.
Here is the list of local seniors: Forwards - Timothy Paz (Norwich Free Academy), Nick Strecker (Montville); Midfielders - Mason Rivera (NFA), Aaron Schwartz (Waterford); Backs - Gabe Diaz (Montville), Greg Swenson (East Lyme), Jayse Tyropolis (Waterford), Griffin Woods (East Lyme); Goalies - Zach Kosakowski (East Lyme), Spencer Saunders (Old Lyme).
• Trinity College scored three goals in the third period to beat Connecticut College 5-2 in the season opener for both teams. J.C. Cangelosi had a goal and an assist for the Camels while Tim DiPretoro also scored a goal.
• Kelsie Fralick stopped 44 shots as Conn College played Trinity to a 1-1 tie in the season opener for both schools. Conn wiped out an early 1-0 deficit on a power play goal by Jane Pagano (Courtney Dumont assisted) in the second period.
• Senior Chantel Ferguson posted Coast Guard's lone individual win in a tri-meet loss at home. The Bears (1-4) lost to WPI 139-138 and were beaten by Division I Providence 198-82. Ferguson captured the 100 butterfly in 1:02.29.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES