- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - The Coast Guard Academy women's basketball team remained undefeated, beating MIT 77-56 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game Tuesday night.
Meghan Fornaro scored 20 points, Torie Sutherland had 19 points and 11 rebounds and Kaitlin Ward scored 11 for the Bears (4-0, 3-0).
In another game:
• Tara Gabelman scored 16 points and had 10 rebounds as Connecticut College beat Western Connecticut State 66-50 in a nonconference game. Willa McKinley scored 15, Liz Malman had 12 points and three steals and Carlee Smith had 12 points and five assists for Conn, which led 38-25 at halftime.
• Salve Regina outscored Coast Guard 38-23 in the second half, pulling away for a 64-48 win in the nonconference game. John Benedict scored 11 off the bench and David Anderson had 10 points for Coast Guard (1-4). Former Fitch forward Josh Hohlfelder had five points and five rebounds for Salve (4-0).
• Eastern Connecticut State took a 32-16 halftime lead and went on to beat Connecticut College 69-45 in a nonconference game. Zuri Pavlin had 10 points and 14 rebounds and Matt Vadas scored 10 and had 10 rebounds for Conn (1-3).
• UConn-Avery Point lost to Lincoln College 99-83. Mike Martin had 18 points, Malcolm Simmons had 13 points and 12 rebounds and Keith Porter and Ryan Wallack scored 15 points each for the Pointers (4-3).
Conn's LeDuc honored
• Connecticut College's Michael LeDuc has been honored as the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Division III Men's National Athlete of the Year.
LeDuc, a senior, posted a time of 24:29 on the 8k course at Hanover College in Indiana to win the Division III Men's Cross Country Championship Saturday. It marked the second time LeDuc had won an NCAA Title in the past seven months. Conn has now won three individual NCAA Championships in the past five years.
LeDuc's finish was the second fastest time in course history. Peter Kosgei, the 2008 NCAA Champion from Hamilton College, holds the record with a time of 22:22. LeDuc ran almost a full minute faster than his winning time of 25:22 at the pre-national race held back on October 5.
Thanksgiving Day tickets
• Tickets to the Westerly-Stonington Thanksgiving Day football game are on sale at both schools. Pre-sale tickets are $3 for adults, $2 for students and senior citizens. All game day tickets will be $5. but children under 10 will be free.
• Ticket sales for Ledyard-Fitch Thanksgiving Day football game can be purchased at Fitch today from 8-11 a.m. in the main office. Pre-game tickets are $5 for adults and $2 for students. All tickets at the game will be $5. Kickoff is 10 a.m. at Ledyard.