- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Newtown (AP) - Newtown's police department will review its response to last year's shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, according to the police chief, who said a report this week by the lead investigator showed his officers acted properly.
The summary report by State's Attorney Stephen Sedensky III said that nearly six minutes passed between the arrival of the first officer outside the school and the time officers entered the building, but it said police were operating under the belief there may have been more than one shooter.
The report said the lone gunman, Adam Lanza, killed himself about a minute after the first officer arrived at the school.
Police Chief Michael Kehoe told The News-Times that his officers had to make sure several unidentified people encountered outside the school did not pose a threat to police or others.
"You have to have a practical understanding of a response to an active shooter situation," Kehoe told the newspaper. "Officers have to balance the tactical considerations for engaging the suspect ... or more lives could be in danger."
Lanza killed 20 children and six women inside the school on the morning of Dec. 14. He also killed his mother inside their Newtown home before driving to Sandy Hook elementary.
Kehoe said his department will begin its review after receiving the complete state police report on the massacre. Such reviews of major incidents help police departments improve response and planning.
The state police are in the process of redacting personal information from the thousands of pages in their evidence file so that they can be released publicly. The Connecticut Division of Criminal Justice said the redactions were expected to be completed by the anniversary of the Dec. 14 shooting.
A state police spokesman, Lt. J. Paul Vance, said Wednesday he could not say when the completed report would be released.