Mayo assault case continued to Jan. 29

The case against New London firefighter Alfred P. Mayo who allegedly assaulted a man after a dispute June 14 at the Montville Polish Club was continued Thursday in Norwich Superior Court to Jan. 29.

Mayo was charged with third-degree assault and breach of peace in connection with the incident.

Assistant State's Attorney Thomas Griffin said the state is still waiting to get a total on the victim's medical expenses. It is expected that a plea in the case would include a stipulation that Mayo cover all or most of the medical expenses.

Judge Thomas G. Moukawsher said the January date would be the last continuance on the matter since it has been pending on the criminal docket for some time.

Mayo's attorney Ronald F. Stevens said his client is anxiously awaiting a resolution.

The 35-year-old Norwich resident, who had waged a public fight for his firefighting job two years ago, has been suspended without pay by the City of New London pending the outcome of his case.

The unidentified male victim went to the parking lot and claims that Mayo punched him from behind. Mayo claims the other man ripped his shirt off and charged at him. The victim suffered an injury to the left side of his face, according to statements made by another prosecutor during Mayo's arraignment this summer.

Mayo was fired by the City of New London in December 2011 just days before his graduation from the state fire academy. After his termination, Mayo claimed he had been mistreated by the city and fire academy because he is black.

The city rehired him in May 2012, after Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio said new information had come to light, including a report on the fire academy that concluded Mayo may have been treated unfairly during his training.

Hide Comments

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

THE DAY VIDEO SHORTS