Published January 09. 2014 4:00AM
Brockton, Mass — Keith Porter's layup with three seconds left gave the UConn-Avery Point men's basketball team an 81-79 victory over Massasoit Community College on Wednesday. Massasoit missed a halfcourt shot at the buzzer for the win.
Porter, a New London High School graduate, finished with 26 points, Kevin Pape had 16 and Mike Martin 14 for Avery Point (7-5).
In other games:
• Freshman Quinton Dale had 18 points to go with his game-high 14 rebounds to lead Wheaton to a 65-53 win over Coast Guard in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Senior Devonte Weems and classmate John Benedict each had 12 points to lead Coast Guard (2-9, 0-1) while Weems had a game-high four assists and Benedict had a team-high seven rebounds.
• Griswold defeated East Lyme 43-42 in a match decided on criteria. The Vikings (1-11) had pins from Corey Levesque (145), Mason Pagan (152), Andrew Lorah (160), Matthew Pagan (170) and T.J. Hillyer (220).
• Joel Morth (115 pounds), Tommy Wynosky (132), Austin Concascia (145), Jacob Caskey (152), Ian Concascia (170), Patrick Bogan (182) and Brent Politiwicz (195) each had pins for Montville in a 61-15 victory over St. Bernard/Norwich Tech in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division. Steven Rogers (138) and Jacob Schmalz (160) added wins by decision for the Indians (9-1, 3-0). Matt Dowler (106) and Cas Woznica (220) won by pin for St. Bernard (1-2, 1-2).
• Khaleed Exum-Strong started things off with a pin at 182 pounds and Norwich Free Academy won the first four matches on the way to a 48-30 victory over Bacon Academy in the ECC Large Division. Aaron Hevert (220), Jake Fowler (138) and Abner Lugo (170) had pins for NFA (6-8, 2-0) and Jacob Hodge (152) and Tony Hong (160) earned decisions. Bacon is 1-2, 1-2.
• Gabe Madrigal (132), Billy Gaff (160) and William Parker (182) all won by pin for Fitch in a 42-34 loss to Woodstock Academy. Scott Kydd (126) won by decision for Fitch (4-8, 0-3 ECC Large).
H.S. boys' swimming
• Will Jarrett was first in the 200 and 500 freestyles to lift The Williams School past Chase Collegiate 51-40. Josh Goldstein was first in the 100 freestyle and second in the 100 backstroke, Rhett Steiner first in the 100 butterfly and second in the 200 individual medley and Cooper Feites first in the 50 freestyle and second in the 100 freestyle. Goldstein, Sam Linhares, Steiner and Jarrett were first in the 200 medley relay and Goldstein, Feites, Steiner and Jarrett took first in the 200 free relay.
H.S. girls' swimming
• Claudia Mergy was first in the 500 freestyle and the 100 breaststroke for Williams in a tri-meet with Ethel Walker and Chase Collegiate. Ethel Walker won with 60 points, followed by Williams and Chase with 45 each. Samantha Linhares, Mergy, Grace Linhares and Kaela Milewski teamed to win the 200 freestyle relay, as well, for the Blues.
H.S. boys' basketball
• J'Quan Monroe led the way with 26 points and 11 rebounds as Grasso Tech defeated Amistad 53-49. Joe Diaz added 10 points and four assists for Grasso (3-2).
• Nick Hewitt scored 19 to lead Killingly past Stonington 66-61 in the ECC Medium. Killingly is 4-2, 0-2. Matt Donahue had 17 points for the Bears (1-6, 0-2) and Matt Mitchell scored 16.
• Rudy Harvey had 10 points, five rebounds and two assists in Williams' 71-31 loss to Wheeler (R.I.). Jack Hisle added seven points and Jack Fader six for Williams.
• Anthony Zeng had 34 saves for Norwich Free Academy/St. Bernard/Bacon Academy in a 9-0 loss to Bolton/Coventry/Rockville/Lyman Memorial. BCRL outshot NFA/St. Bernard 43-9.
• Zach Jones scored a shorthanded goal for the Fitch/East Lyme/Ledyard/Old Lyme/Hale-Ray Eagles and Austin D'Addario scored on an assist by Cara Bradley in a 5-2 loss to Woodstock Academy. Tyler Luke finished with 28 saves in goal for the Eagles (1-7).
• Jack Shannon and Adam Verhoeff each earned individual victories for Williams in a 5-2 loss to Pomfret. Shannon topped Chase Hollingsworth at No. 1, 11-1, 11-1, 11-4 and Verhoeff defeated Ian Buckley at No. 2, 8-11, 11-5, 11-5, 11-1.
• Senior All-American Sam Gill and sophomore Loring Bowen won two events each to lead Connecticut College to a 147-58 victory against Grinnell College on Tuesday. The Camels improved their record to 5-1 with their fourth consecutive win. Bowen won the 100 butterfly (52.24) and 200 (1:45.72) butterfly events. Gill cruised to victories in the 50 (21.85) and 100 (48.19) freestyles.
• Senior All-American Julia Pielock won a pair of individual events to lead undefeated Connecticut College (7-0) to a 155-50 victory against Grinnell College on Tuesday. Pielock posted victories in both the 50 (24.92) and 100-yard (54.37) freestyle events and also swam a leg of the winning 200-yard medley relay, joining Sara Beers, Evie Mitchell and Anna Peterson (1:54.02).