- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Ledyard - Darnay Gray scored 15 points, including the 1,000th of his career, as Ledyard High School knocked Norwich Free Academy from the unbeaten ranks with a 62-41 victory over the Wildcats on Thursday night in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division boys' basketball game.
Gray reached the milestone with 12 seconds left, his final points of the game, as the Colonels (4-2, 3-0) remained perfect in their first Large Division season.
DeAnte Bruton also scored 15 points for Ledyard, which build a 20-8 lead after one quarter and never trailed again, while Andrew Byrd finished with 10.
NFA (5-1, 2-1) was led by Marcus Outlow, who scored a game-high 21, including four 3-pointers.
In other games:
• Cole Ogorzaleh had 22 points to lead Portland past Old Lyme, 46-42, in the Shoreline Conference. Portland is 2-3, 2-3. Josh Turkowski had 18 points for the Wildcats (2-5, 1-4) and Zac Abrahamsson scored 10.
• Tabitha Ford scored a game-high 13 points, but Grasso Tech fell short against Amistad Academy, 35-30. Serenity Kidd-Brewer added nine points for the Eagles (2-4).
• Meghan Fornaro had 14 points and seven rebounds to help lead Coast Guard Academy to a 57-34 victory over Mount Holyoke in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Torie Sutherland added 12 points, Brittney Zimmerman had five assists and Dani Knox finished with eight points and six rebounds for the Bears (10-1, 6-1), who are off to the best start in program history.
• Savannah Boyle scored 21 points as Mitchell defeated Becker College 64-58 in a New England Collegiate Conference game. Toshina Jessamy added 19 points and six rebounds for the Mariners (4-7, 4-1) and Kate Mulloy finished with 10 points and six rebounds. Becker is 3-8, 3-2.
• Joshua Ford had 33 points and 15 rebounds as Mitchell downed Wheelock, 83-72, in the NECC. Mitchell (7-3, 4-0) shot 57-percent. Parris Hill had 18 points and six rebounds for Mitchell and Anthony Epps added 16 points and eight rebounds in his season debut. Anthony Williams scored 19 for the Wildcats (0-10, 0-3).
• Eric Paschall had 28 points and 13 rebounds as St. Thomas More trounced the Post JV, 103-63. Cane Broome had 15 points, nine rebounds and six assists for T-More and Calvin Crawford had 12 points and seven rebounds. Also, Scott Toresco had 12 points and six rebounds.
• Aidan Ely won the 200 individual medley (2:10.38) and 100 breaststroke (1:10.06), Sam Kokomoor the 100 butterfly (1:00.41) and 200 freestyle (1:59.75), and Dakota Williams the 50 freestyle (22.62) and 100 freestyle (49.79) as Fitch/St. Bernard edged Ledyard/Stonington, 85-84, in the ECC. Ely, Kokomoor and Williams teamed with Will Ferguson to win the 200 medley relay (1:49.31) for the Falcons (3-0, 3-0). The trio also joined Sean Estep to win the 200 freestyle relay (1:38.18). Collin Esquirol won the 100 backstroke for the Colonels (2-1, 1-1) and John Moody, Steven Boyd, Austin Carter and Alex Orf won the 400 freestyle relay.
• Ledyard won eight of its 14 matches by pinfall as it beat New London on Wednesday, 55-19, in an ECC Large meet. Josh Rahal (132), Nick Laur (145), Mike Graff (152), Jeff Csisar (160), Devon MarcAurele (170), Danny Contino (195), Daric Johnson (220) and heavyweight Kevin McDonald all won by pin for the Colonels (5-1, 3-0). Alejando Panlino (120) and Xavier Benson (126) both won by pin for the Whalers (1-1, 1-1).