- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Fitch High School erupted for 45 points in the second half to break open a close game and the Falcons went on to defeat East Lyme, 82-52, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division boys' basketball game on Friday night.
The Falcons (4-5, 1-3) led 37-31 at halftime but outscored the Vikings 45-21 in the final 16 minutes.
Willie Harris led Fitch with 21 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and four steals while Marc Evans added 16 points, including four 3-pointers, Shareeef Brown finished with 13 points and Devonte Anderson had 12 points and 10 rebounds.
Tom Walker led East Lyme (2-8, 0-4) with 14 points and Christian Brown had 10.
In other games:
• Schneider Jean-Pierre scored a game-high 15 points as Waterford cruised to a 65-32 victory over St. Bernard. Connor Lewis added 13 points and Donny Craig 11 for the Lancers (5-4), who led 30-19 at halftime, while Remy Bonser scored 11 points for the Saints (6-3).
• Bullard-Havens defeated Norwich Tech 68-38 in the Constitution State Conference. Justin Brown and Elijah Cook scored eight points apiece for the Warriors (3-5), who trailed 28-13 at halftime.
• Sotiraq Vangjeli of Williams School came off the bench to score 18 points, but the Blues lost to Rocky Hill School of Rhode Island 55-39. Chris Collins had 10 points and seven rebounds for Williams.
• Alex Orf won two individual events and was part of the winning 400-meter freestyle relay team as Ledyard/Stonington defeated Waterford 107-76 in the ECC. Orf won the 50 freestyle (29.46 seconds) and 100 free (1:05.96) for the Colonels (3-1, 2-1) and teamed with Collin Esquirol, Steven Boyd and John Moody to win the relay 4:28.96. Elson Guo won the 200 individual medley (2:26.73) and 100 butterfly (1:04.92) for the Lancers (1-3, 1-3).
• Ben Biondi won the 50 freestyle (23.42) and 100 free (50.06) as East Lyme edged Branford, 93-88, in a nonconference meet.
Zach Kosakowski added a win in the 100 backstroke (59.19) for the Vikings (5-2) as did the 200 freestyle relay team of Biondi, Clayton Otter, Benas Kirvelevicius and Eric Stirtan.
• Walker Cook (200 free, 500 free) and Aidan Karam (200 IM, 100 back) won two events apiece in Norwich Free Academy's 95-88 loss to Windham in the ECC. The Wildcats are 2-3, 2-3.
• Nathan Deluca had four goals and an assist as Woodstock beat NFA/St. Bernard/Bacon 5-2. Ryan Terracciano and Bryan Guetens scored goals, Turner Moss and Isaac Bassham had assists and Anthony Zeng made 17 saves for NFA/St. Bernard (1-7).