- Make A Difference
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Providence -Collin Sawyer scored 25 and Joshua Maynard added 19 points and 10 rebounds as New London High School beat Classical (R.I.) on Saturday, 82-72, in a boys' basketball game at the Community College of Rhode Island.
De'Vonta Robinson had 12 points and 11 rebounds, Seth Lake scored 13 and Nabate Metts scored 10 for New London (8-1).
In other games:
• Darnay Gray scored 20 points and Ledyard pulled away in the second half for a 67-57 victory over Bishop Hendricken (R.I.), also at CCRI.
DeAnte Bruton added 19 points and Phyllip Thomas 14 for the Colonels (6-2), who led 34-32 at the break and outscored Hendricken 33-25 in the second half.
• Waterford outscored Old Lyme 18-5 in the first quarter and went on to win the nonleague game 48-37. Isaiah Jones had 12 points, five steals and six assists and Kyle McComic had 10 rebounds for Waterford (6-4).
Zac Abrahamsson led Old Lyme (3-7) with 10 points.
• Hyde of New Haven held Norwich Free Academy to single figures in all four quarters, winning the nonleague game 37-24. Brandon Drabinski led NFA (7-2) with 10 points.
• Joel Morth (113 pounds), Zach Looney (121), Jacob Caskey (138) and Pat Bogan (170) all won championships and helped pace Montville to the Casey Yates Invite title in Lebanon. Montville had 214 points.
Tommy Wynosky (126) finished second for the Indians and Jake Schmalz (152), Austin Concascia (145), Ian Concascia (160) and James Hilbie (195) all placed third.
• Fifth-ranked Ledyard swept a quad-meet at home, defeating Guilford (48-22), Middletown (38-31) and Conard (46-27). Derek Schultz (106), Nick Lauer (145) and Devon MarcAurele (170) all went 3-0 for the Colonels (12-2) with MarcAurele recording a pair of pins.
• Alejandro Paulino (126 pounds), Cristian Andino Torres (106) and Cristopher Andino Torres (195) won all three of their matches to help New London beat Waterford (39-36), Ellis Tech (74-6), and Ponaganset, R.I. (47-35) at Ellis Tech. Mike Commander (113-120) and Jorge Hidalgo (160) and all won two of their matches for New London (4-2).
Waterford went 1-2 in the meet, beating Ellis (54-27) while losing to New London and Ponaganset, R.I. (42-36). Brentt Smith (120 pounds), Sam Lindblom (132) and Dillon McCarthy (160) won three matches each for the Lancers (13-7).
• Fitch went 3-2 in the Spartan Duals at Maloney, defeating Darien (42-24), St. Bernard/Norwich Tech (42-27) and Enfield (56-15) while losing to Maloney (80-0) and East Lyme (48-30). Billy Goff (160) went 4-0 for the Falcons (8-14) while Cameron Ackley (126), Gabe Madrigal (132) and John Fenty (182) each went 4-1.
Matt Dowler (113), Mario Lin (138) and Chris Dawley (145) had pins for the Saints against Fitch while Devin Mazza (113), David Gill (120), Kyle Bernard (138) and Corey Levesque (145) had pins for East Lyme against the Falcons.
Boys' indoor track
• Tyler Latham of Fitch won the 55-meter high hurdles at the East Coast Invitational in Providence with a time of 7.82. Teammate Eli Rosario Vega was third in the shot put and Fitch also got sixth-place finishes from Brian Robinson (shot put) and the 4x800 relay team of Devin Lehman, Daelon Morgan, Cameron Wilhelm and Conor O'Donnell.
• Ledyard's Joe Carter set a school record in the 400 (50.70 seconds) and finished third at the Yale Invite. The record was previous held by Fred Hewett (51.02, 2009). Carter also set a meet record in the long jump (21 feet, 2 inches) and won the 300 (35.68) as the Colonels scored 67 points to win Friday's Haddam-Killingworth Invitational.
Also for Ledyard, Bryce Hedman finished second in the 1,600 (4:37.74) and teamed with Aaron Norcia, Trey DeAndred and Rigel Watchmann to finish second in the 4x800. Norcia placed third in the 1,000 (2:48.19).
JoJo Shumaker was second in the long jump (20-8) and fourth in the 55 meters (6.87). Also, Parker Cronin took fourth in the pole vault (11-6), Brandon Chestnut was fifth in the shot put (42-9), and the team of Joseph Brooks, Luke Saccone, Manny DeShields-Sanabria and Jake Christenson placed sixth in the 4x200 (1:40.54).
Girls' indoor track
• Hannah Finton of Fitch was fourth in the long jump (16-10) at the East Coast Invitational in Providence.
• Chenoa Sebastian won the 55 meters (8.73) at Friday's H-K Invite. She also teamed with Alyssa Samson, Savannah Johnson and Emily Kowalski to finish fifth in the 4x200 (1:54.89).
• Will Jarrett won a pair of events for Williams, but the Blues lost to Hamden Hall 83-79. Jarrett won the 500 freestyle in a school record 5:16.22 and also won the 200 freestyle while Rhett Steiner won the 200 IM and Samantha Linhares set a school record in the 50 freestyle (26.96).