Local Roundup: Smith sparks Camels to victory
New London - Carlee Smith scored 19 points to help lead the Connecticut College women's basketball team to a 70-63 win over Middlebury College in a New England Small College Athletic Conference game Sunday.
Smith, the former Windham High School standout, also had eight assists, four rebounds and three steals. Tara Gabelman had 13 points and 10 rebounds and Willa McKinley came off the bench to score 14 for Conn (10-6, 2-1). Laura Lowry led Middlebury (6-9, 1-3) with 16 points.
In another game:
• Coast Guard jumped out to a 43-22 halftime lead and held on to beat Babson 71-65 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game. It gave the Bears a sweep of the two-game series against Babson, the four-time defending NEWMAC champions. Brittney Zimmerman had 16 points, Kaitlin Ward and Torie Sutherland scored 13 each and Meghan Fornaro had 10 points for Coast Guard (13-2, 9-2). Giovanna Pickering led Babson (7-8, 7-4) with 24 points.
• Ricky Rodriguez scored a game-high 16 points as Coast Guard beat Sarah Lawrence 67-53 in a nonleague game. Freshman Adrian Chuquillangui came off the bench to score nine points and John Benedict had six rebounds for Coast Guard (4-11), which won back-to-back games for the first time since November of 2011.
• Parris Hill (26) and Anthony Epps (24) combined for 50 points as Mitchell College beat City College of New York 71-59 in a nonleague game. Joshua Ford had 12 points, 11 rebounds and five assists, Hill had 14 rebounds and Damion Hewitt and Epps had seven rebounds each for the Mariners (11-3).
• Middlebury College rallied for a 64-61 win over Connecticut College in a NESCAC game. Conn led 35-27 at halftime. Mason Lopez scored 27 points and Zuri Pavlin had 10 points and 12 rebounds for Conn (7-6, 1-1). Dylan Sinnickson, who scored 22 points and had 10 rebounds, made a 3-pointer with three seconds left to give Middlebury (10-5, 3-1) the win.
• Coast Guard freshman Earl Roberts won three matches as the Bears went 2-1 in a quad-meet at Johnson & Wales. Coast Guard (3-5) beat Norwich 24-22 and Western New England 30-6 and lost to top-ranked Johnson & Wales 46-3.
Roberts (125 pounds) had a pin, a forfeit and won 9-7 for the Bears' only points against Johnson & Wales. Matthew Vieira (149), Steve Kidwell (157), Marc Wagner (184) and Phillip Azzari (197) won two matches each for Coast Guard.
• NFA won a pair of matches in foil Saturday, beating East Lyme and Fitch 5-4. Fitch beat East Lyme 5-4. East Lyme's Matt Chan was 6-0. In epee, Dalamar Brissette (5-1) led Fitch to a 7-2 win over East Lyme, but Fitch lost to NFA 6-3. East Lyme beat Fitch 5-4.
• Ledyard won a pair of foil matches Saturday, beating Waterford 6-3 and New London 8-1 as David Allen led the Colonels with a score of plus 17. Waterford beat New London 6-3.
• St. Bernard defeated Griswold (5-4) in boys' foil Saturday, but lost to Bacon Academy (8-1) and Old Lyme (7-2). The Saints fared better in the epee as they beat Bacon (5-4) and Griswold (7-2). They lost to Old Lyme in the epee, 6-3. Old Lyme lost to Griswold (6-3) and Bacon (8-1) in the foil while beating Griswold in the epee (7-2) and losing to Bacon (7-2).
• NFA won a pair of matches in foil Saturday, beating East Lyme 7-2 and Fitch 6-3 as Angelica Rayment went 6-0. Fitch, led by Chesca Bonnevie (5-1), beat East Lyme 6-3. NFA also won twice in epee, beating Fitch and East Lyme 5-4. Fitch beat East Lyme 8-2 and Fitch's Madeleine Rush finished 6-0.
• Ledyard beat Waterford and New London in foil matches Saturday, each by the score of 5-4. New London beat Waterford 5-4 and New London's Soraya Colon-Millan finished with a plus 21.
• St. Bernard won all three of its foil matches Saturday against Bacon (6-3), Griswold (6-3) and Old Lyme (9-0). The Saints beat Griswold (6-3) and lost to Old Lyme (6-3) in the epee. Old Lyme lost to Griswold (9-0) and Bacon (6-3) in the foil, but beat Griswold (5-4) in the epee.
• Sheehan scored six goals in the first period and went on to beat NFA/St. Bernard/Bacon 10-1 Saturday night. Logan Morin scored and Bryan Guetens had an assist for NFA/St. Bernard/Bacon (1-8).
• Conn College split a tri-meet at Wesleyan Saturday, beating the hosts 179-108 while losing to Williams 202-92. It was the first loss of the year for the Camels (9-1), who picked up wins from Julie Pielock in the 500 freestyle (23.98) and Evie Mitchell in the 100 breaststroke (1:08.53).
• Conn College split a tri-meet with Williams and Wesleyan Saturday in Middletown, beating Wesleyan 201-59 but losing to Williams 183-105. Conn (7-2) picked up wins from Sean Paquette in the 100 backstroke (53.09), Sam Gill in the 50 free (21.41) and 100 butterfly (50.61) and Drew Andre in the 100 free (48.07).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES