Local roundup: Ledyard boys win fifth straight
Ledyard - DeAnte Bruton scored 19 points as Ledyard High School won its fifth straight game with a 73-57 victory over Hartford Capital in a boys' basketball game Monday night.
Phyllip Thomas added 15 points for the Colonels (7-2) while Khary Childs and Dom Benson added 12 apiece.
Hartford Capital is 7-2.
• Ledyard used a big fourth quarter to pull away and defeat Bacon Academy, 58-33, in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division.
The Colonels (9-2, 4-1) began with quarter with a 34-26 lead, but outscored the Bobcats 24-7 to turn the game into a rout. Hannah Hutchins, who finished with 29 points and 14 rebounds for Ledyard, had 10 points in the fourth quarter while Ari Fustini and Fran Matira each hit two 3-pointers.
Michele Klinikowski added 12 points for the Colonels.
• Point guard Cane Broome had 19 points and four assists as St. Thomas More had five players reach double figures in a 91-76 victory over Army Prep.
Forward Yuta Watanabe added 18 points, six rebounds and four assists for the Chancellors (13-4) while Francis Kiapway and Eric Paschall finished with 17 points apiece and Josh Williams had 10 points and seven rebounds.
• Old Lyme's Ashley Detuzzi won the all-around competition to lead the Wildcats past Windham, 115.1-90.3.
Detuzzi's total was 30.7 points, including an 8.3 in the floor routine and an 8.2 on vault. East Lyme's Maranda Ealahan was second with 30.5 and Waterford's Elizabeth Heikkinen was third with 30.2.
Both competed as individuals because East Lyme and Waterford are unable to field full teams thi season.
• Shepaug Valley/Litchfield/Nonnewaug scored the game's first three goals and went on to defeat Fitch/East Lyme/Ledyard/Hale-Ray, 5-2, at the Gunnery School in Litchfield.
Keegan Twomey scored both goals for the Eagles (1-10) in the third period, the first on the power play (John Stevens assisted) and the second from Kiefer Stroebel.
Goalie Tyler Luke made 35 saves.
• Bob Gilot, a track official at Waterford Speedbowl, was named INEX Technical Inspector of the Year for 2013 and was presented with the award during the annual INEX banquet on Saturday night in Charlotte, N.C.
INEX is the international sanctioning body over several racing divisions, including Legends Cars and Bandoleros, which compete on a weekly basis at the Speedbowl on Wednesday and Saturday nights during the spring and summer.
• The forecast for a winter storm today has already led to the following schedule changes:
Boys' basketball - Hartford Classical at Norwich Tech, today to Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Girls' basketball - Norwich Tech at Hartford Classical, today to Wednesday, 7 p.m.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES