- Living Their Faith
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Chris Jean-Pierre scored 39 points, including a game-tying 3-pointer at the regulation buzzer, and Valley Regional High School went on to outlast Fitch 112-107 in a wild, four-overtime boys' basketball thriller on Saturday afternoon.
Jean-Pierre and teammate David Bradbury (28 points) each made eight 3-pointers to lead the Warriors.
Fitch (4-7) had five players in double figures, led by Mario Graham with 29 pionts, eight assists and four steals.
In addition, John Floyd had 25 points and six rebounds, Marc Evans 20 points with five 3-pointers, Willie Harris with 16 points and 12 rebounds and Davonte Anderson with 15 points, 20 rebounds and five blocked shots.
• In a quad-meet featuring four teams ranked in the latest state poll, No. 5 Ledyard lost all three matches, falling to No. 3 New Milford 57-18, No. 4 Fairfield Warde 37-34 and No. 8 Bristol Eastern 50-20. Devon MarcAurele (160 pounds) and Caile Johnson (195) each went 3-0 for the Colonels (12-5) while Jeff Csisar (170) and Dan Contino (182) each went 2-1.
• Montville went 5-0 to win the Portland Duals. The Indians (19-1) beat Hartford Sport Sciences (71-6), Canton (53-18), Portland (54-21), Wethersfield (53-18) and Gilbert (63-12). Joel Morth (113), Jacob Caskey (138), Jacob Schmalz (152), Ian Concascia (160), Pat Bogan (170) and Brent Politowicz (182) each went 5-0 for the Indians and Zac Looney (120), Tommy Wynosky (126), Austin Concascia (145) and James Hilbie (195) won four matches each.
• Norwich Free Academy beat Platt Tech/West Haven 46-33 but lost to host Glastonbury 40-25. Tony Hong (160) won both his matches and Jacob Hodge (152), Abner Lugo Del Toro (170) and Aaron Hebert (195) each went 2-0 with a forfeit for NFA (9-14).
• Waterford's Brentt Smith (120) and Jimm Roscover (145) had three pins each as the Lancers went 1-2 in a quad-meet Friday. Waterford beat Westerly 45-30 and lost to Foran 52-23 and Coventry, R.I., 42-40. Sam Lindblom (132) also won three matches and Dillon McCarthy (160) had two pins for Waterford (14-9).
• Freshman Abby Stone scored 13 points and had six steals as Old Lyme beat Valley Regional 50-29 in a Shoreline Conference game. Hannah Behringer had 12 points and four steals for Old Lyme (6-5).
• Ellis McCarthy scored 12 points as Fishers Island defeated Williams School 35-30. Marion Philippe led the Blues (1-8) with 14 points, 12 rebounds and four blocked shots while Marie Grillo added eight points and six rebounds and Kailah Waheed had 10 rebounds.
• Grace Linhares won a pair of events as Williams beat Cheshire Academy 95-49. Linhares won the 100 butterfly and 50 freestyle. Also winning events for the Blues were Claudia Mergy, Samantha Linhares and Abbey Dimatteo. Williams also won the 200 freestyle relay (Samantha Linhares, Mergy, Grace Linhares and Kaela Milewski) and the 200 medley relay (Carly Meyer, Mergy, Grace Linhares and Samantha Linhares).
• Williams lost to Cheshire Academy 79-70 and Eaglebrook 108-48 as Will Jarrett and Rhett Steiner won events.
• Rocky Hill/RHAM/Middletown scored the last six goals of the game, beating Fitch/East Lyme/Ledyard/Hale-Ray 7-2. Kiefer Stroebel scored both goals for the Eagles (1-11).
• NFA's Joseph Lefebvre and Reuben Deglin each went 6-0 as the Wildcats beat Waterford 9-0 and Griswold 8-1 in foil. Waterford beat Griswold 6-3. NFA also won a pair in epee, beating Griswold 7-2 and Waterford 6-3. Waterford beat Griswold 7-2. Christian Lefebvre of NFA was 5-1 in epee.
• Ledyard won a pair of foil matches, beating East Lyme 6-3 and Bacon 5-4. Matt Chan of East Lyme, which beat Bacon 6-3, went 6-0 with a point indicator of plus 21. East Lyme beat Bacon 5-4 in epee.
• NFA's Abigail Wichael, Calla Tetreault and Angelica Rayment each finished 6-0 as the Wildcats beat both Griswold and Waterford 9-0 in foil. Waterford beat Griswold 6-3. Waterford's Kirsten Staller was 6-0 as the Lancers beat NFA (6-3) and Griswold (6-3) in epee. Griswold beat NFA 7-2.
• East Lyme won a pair of foil matches, beating Bacon 6-3 and Ledyard 7-2. Angeline Adamski of East Lyme had the highest point indicator, at plus 16. Ledyard beat Bacon 7-2.
Boys' indoor track
• Three Old Lyme athletes won event during a weekly Shoreline League meet Friday. Jeff Davis won the 1,000-meter race in 2:46.93; Cole McKnight won the 1,600 in 4:47.07 and Ross Golebiewski captured the 600 in 1:27.8 for the Wildcats.