Local Roundup: Sutherland sparks Coast Guard to win
New London - Torie Sutherland scored a game-high 16 points Wednesday, 11 in the second half as the Coast Guard Academy women's basketball team defeated Clark 58-39 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference.
Sutherland added 10 rebounds for her second double-double in the last three games and Meghan Fornaro hit three 3-pointers as part of a 17-4 Coast Guard run over the first 9 minutes, 46 seconds.
Fornaro scored 14 points and Dani Knox had seven points, nine rebounds and five assists. The Bears are 15-3 overall, 11-3 and in second place in the league.
College men's basketball
• Ryan Kolb finished with a game-high 23 points and team-best eight rebounds as No. 4 WPI held off Coast Guard 71-65 in a NEWMAC matchup. WPI (17-1, 7-0) won its 14th straight game, tying the second-longest winning streak in school history. Ricky Rodriguez led Coast Guard with 13 points, while Devonte Weems added 11 points and John Benedict 10. Kevin Alvarez had a career-high eight rebounds to pace the Bears (4-14, 1-6), who led 33-32 at halftime.
• Ledyard's Devon MarcAurele started the match with a pin at 170 pounds and the Colonels defeated Norwich Free Academy 57-13 in a battle of the unbeatens in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division. Bo Nguyen (106), Josh Rahal (132), Nick Lauer (145), Mike Graff (152), Caile Johnson (195) and Josh Throop (285) added pins for Ledyard (13-5, 5-0) and Shane Fors (126), Nick Shultz (138) and Daric Johnson won by decision. Tony Hong won by pin at 160 and Khaleed Exum-Strong picked up a victory by major decision at 182 for NFA (7-16, 3-1).
• Killingly swept the five matches from 170-285 pounds and the Redmen held on to a 39-37 victory over Waterford in the ECC Small Division. Brentt Smith (120 pounds), Sam Lindblom (132), Justin Lindblom (138), Jimm Roscover (145) and Dillon McCarthy (160) earned pins for Waterford (14-10, 1-3) and Ryan Botseas (106) and Niko Randolph (126) won by decision. The match started with the 145-pound weight class.
• Alejandro Paulino (132 pounds), Joseph Watson (145) and Christ Cantres (152) won by pin in New London's 51-24 victory over St. Bernard. Luis Gonzales won by decision at 170 pounds for New London (6-2) and the Whalers won five matches by forfeit. Mario Lin (138), Justin Keating (160), Cas Woznica (195) won by pin for St. Bernard and John Gannon (182) and Robert Newton (285) earned decisions.
• Kevin O'Sullivan (170 pounds) and T.J. Hillyer (195) won by pin for East Lyme in a 36-26 loss to Woodstock Academy in the ECC Large Division. Matt Pagan added a decision at 182 pounds for East Lyme (4-15, 0-4).
• Aidan Ely won the 200-yard individual medley (2:11.65) and the 100 breaststroke (1:08.89) and Dakota Williams the 50 freestyle (22.71) and 100 freestyle (49.22) in Fitch's 89-86 victory over NFA in an ECC meet at East Lyme.
Ely and Williams also teamed with Will Ferguson and Sam Kokomoor to win the 200 medley relay and with Sean Estep and Kokomoor to win the 200 free relay. Kokomoor took the 100 butterfly and Ferguson the 100 backstroke for Fitch (4-2, 4-2).
Aidan Karam won the 200 and 500 freestyle events for NFA (2-5, 2-5) and Dylan Crider the diving.
• Jack Wheeler won the 50-yard freestyle (28.41) and led Ledyard/Stonington to a pair of relay victories as the Colonels topped New London 52-21 in the ECC. Alex Orf (200 freestyle), Sarah Morrison (200 individual medley), Dylan LaPointe (100 fly), Alex Green (100 freestyle) and Steven Boyd (500 freestyle) also won individual events for Ledyard/Stonington (5-1, 4-1). Melida Alvarez won the 100 backstroke for New London (0-5, 0-5).
• Daniel Clark, Jacob Hotsky, Ryan Hessling and Elson Guo teamed to win the 400-meter freestyle relay for Waterford in a 90-82 loss to Windham in the ECC. Guo won the 100 butterfly (57.33), Clark the 400 freestyle (5:48.38), Hessling the 100 backstroke (1:03.02) and Matthew Patton the 100 breaststroke (1:18.92) for the Lancers (1-4, 1-4).
• Montville topped Ellis Tech 923-834, with the Indians setting a program record for points. Eric Sloan scored 195 points out of a possible 200 for Montville (3-2). Also competing for Montville were Tyler Glynn (189), Haley Leonard (personal best 187), Nathan Zawacki (177) and Ryan Williams (175).
H.S. boys' basketball
• J'Quan Monroe finished with 34 points and 11 rebounds in Grasso Tech's 65-59 loss to Wolcott Tech in the Constitution State Conference. Kevin Philibert added 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Eagles (4-5).
• Mike Froscello scored 13 points in Norwich Tech's 63-39 loss to Whitney Tech in the CSC. Froscello hit three 3-point field goals for the Warriors (4-7).
• Adam Verhoeff and Jack Ficke won matches for Williams School in a 5-2 loss to Hopkins. Verhoeff topped Matt Fielder at No. 2 11-5, 11-8, 12-10 and Ficke won in five games at No. 4, beating Will Simon 6-11, 11-6, 7-11, 13-11, 11-7.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES