- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New Haven - Fitch High School's Tyler Latham and East Lyme's Kelsey Shukis won state titles during the CIAC Class L indoor track and field championships Thursday night at the Floyd Little Athletic Center.
Latham captured the boys' 55-meter hurdles in 7.55 seconds, tying the school reocrd set by Mark Pan in 1991, while Shukis won the girls' shot put with a throw of 36 feet, 7 inches.
Darien edged Windsor for the boys' team title (72-68) with Fitch finishing 12th (16 points) while Darien cruised to the team title with 87 points with East Lyme placing fifth (29.5) and Fitch 14th (8).
The Fitch boys had two other place-winners. The 4x200 relay team of Frank Norosky, Devin Lehman, Josh Betancourt and Miggy Gamboas was fifth in 1:38.04 and the sprint medley relay team of Norosky, Lehman, Latham and Cameron Wilhelm was fourth in 3:46.25.
For the East Lyme girls, Gianna Folz (9.12 seconds) and Isabelle Kenny (9.15) finished 3-4 in the 55 hurdles, Sara Shukis was fifth in the pole vault (8-6), Isabelle Moore was sixth in the 1,600 (5:32.30), Mikaela LoPriore was sixth in the shot put (30-8½), the 4x200 relay team of Chelsea Stevens, Haley Ashton, Charoline Thieda and Hannah Belleville was fourth (1:52.74) and the sprint medley relay team of Kirsten Thompson, Kenny, Kailey MarcAurele and Stevens was fifth (4:31.21).
For Fitch, Hannah Finton was third in the long jump (16-6 3/4) and fifth in the 55 hurdles (9.17).
• DeAnte Bruton scored 21 points and Darnay Gray added 20 as Ledyard remained unbeaten in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division with a 93-37 victory over East Lyme. Eric Young added 13 for the Colonels (13-2, 7-0), including three 3-pointers. Logan Banker, Christian Brown and Konstantinos Lanis each had 10 points for the Vikings (3-13, 0-8).
• Kaevon Stafford scored 39 to pace Tourtellotte past Wheeler, 85-68, in the ECC Small. Shawn Houle had 29 points for Tourtellotte. Jacob Raggon had 29 points for the Lions (2-13, 1-7) and Troy Stefanski had 19 points.
• Wheeler couldn't overcome a cold shooting night in a 59-42 loss to Tourtellotte in the ECC Small Division. The Lions (3-12, 1-6) shot only 29 percent from the floor, but did get double-digit scoring from Jess Muller (13 points) and Kaite Morgan (10).
• St. Andrew's pulled away in the second half for a 57-30 win over Williams School. Paola Vangjeli led the Blues (1-11) with 11 points while Marion Philippe had nine points, seven rebounds and five blocked shots and Kailah Waheed added nine rebounds.
• Consecutive pins by Sam Lindlbom (132), Justin Lindblom (138), Jimm Roscover (145) and Spencer Sgandurra (152) lifted Waterford to a 47-27 win over St. Bernard/Norwich Tech in the ECC Small Division. Sgandurra's pin came in just 30 seconds for the Lancers (15-10, 2-3). Chris Doran (113) and Cas Woznica (195) had pins for the Saints (6-11, 2-4).
• Joey Mahoney (126) and Shawn Doran (170) both won by pin for Norwich Free Academy in its 39-31 loss to Woodstock Academy in the ECC Large. Tyler Knolhoff (120), Ryan Mocek (132), John Huntley (138) and Tony Hong (160) all won decisions for NFA (9-18, 3-2).