H.S. roundup: Old Lyme boys win Class S title in 4x800 relay
New Haven - Old Lyme High School won the 4x800-meter relay during Saturday's CIAC Class S boys' indoor track and field championships at the Floyd Little Athletic Center.
Ross Golebiewski, Stuart Ross, Jeff Davis and Cole McKnight finished in 8:18.49 for the Wildcats.
Only one other local partcipant was a place-winner in the, which was won by Bloomfield with 90 points. Grasso Tech's Nathan Behr finished sixth in the 55 dash in 6.92.
• Norwich Free Academy's Connor Gralton finished fourth in the 1,000 at the Class LL meet in 2:37.43, the Wildcats' only place-winner of the day.
Girls' indoor track
• Mia Lynne Park and Taylor Driggers had runnerup finishes to help NFA finish tied for fourth with New Milford (30 points) at the Class LL meet. Staples won the team title with 63 points. Park placed second in the 300 (42.11) and Driggers was second in the long jump (17 feet, 3 inches). Gabi Wise added a fifth in the pole vault (9-6) for the Wildcats, who also placed in three relay events. The 4x400 team of Park, Charlotte Van SamBeck, Camille McKenzie and Nicole Coughlin was third (4:10.14), the 4x200 team of Margaret Lewerk, McKenzie, Park and Lauren Knerr was fourth (1:50.46) and the sprint medley team of Lewerk, Knerr, McKenzie and Van SamBeck was fifth (4:25.36).
• Old Lyme's Kaylin Wiese finished sixth in the pole vault (7-6), one of three sixth-place finishes by local teams in the Class S meet, which was won by Bloomfield with 64 points. In addition, Old Lyme's Sam Lee, Megan Burns, Caroline Cox and Allison Scott teamed up to finish sixth in the 4x200 relay (1:54.37) while Montville's 4x800 relay team of Abigail Baukus, Suzanna Fitzgerlad, Abigail McAdams and Rachel Marchini was sixth in 10:34.62.
• Ledyard went 3-1 at the Waterford Duals. The No. 9 Colonels (20-8) lost to No. 10 Windham 32-31 then beat Hand 55-21, Waterford 51-26 and Berlin 38-36. Jeff Csisar (160 pounds), Devon MarcAurele (170), Danny Contino (182) and Caile Johnson (195) each went 4-0 for Ledyard, with Contino and Johnson getting three pins each.
Waterford went 1-3, beating Southington 41-32 but losing to Nonnewaug (39-34), Berlin (40-33) and Ledyard. Brentt Smith (120), Justin Lindblom (138) and Jimm Roscover (145) each went 4-0 for the Lancers (16-13). Roscover had three pins while Spencer Sgandurra (152), Smith, Sam Lindblom (132) and Justin Lindblom had two pins each.
• Montville won the Woodstock Invite. The Indians scored 199 points with Bristol Central finishing second (175.5). New London was seventh (81.5) and Old Lyme finished 15th (26.5). Jacob Caskey of Montville won at 138, New London's Alejandro Paulino won at 120 and Lyiam Mathis of Old Lyme won at 126. Montville got second-place finishes from Joel Morth (113), Tommy Wynosky (126), Jacob Schmalz (152) and Ian Concascia (160).
• NFA went 4-1 at its own dual tournament, defeating Wolcott Tech 69-12, Shelton 45-33, Portland 47-27 and Vinal Tech 72-12 while losing to Platt 54-28. Matt Foster (106), Tony Hong (160), Khaleed Exum-Strong (182) and Jason Egbert (285) each went 5-0 for NFA (13-19).
• Ledyard rode four pins and three forfeits to a 52-16 win over Montville on Friday night. Nick Schultz (138), MarcAurele (170), Johnson (195) and Josh Rahal (132) had pins for the Colonels. Wynosky (126) had a pin for Montville (21-3).
• Jordan Kenyon (182) and William Parker (195) each went 4-0 with two pins, but Fitch lost a five-team meet on Friday. The Falcons (10-26) lost to host Fairfield Warde 72-12, Norwalk 52-24, Staples 42-18 and Bridgeport Central 42-24.
• NFA outscored Hartford University 21-4 in the fourth quarter and came away with a 50-38 win. Desmond D'Elia-Miller had 16 points and Marcus Outlow scored 15 for NFA (11-5).
• Old Saybrook edged Old Lyme for the second time this season, winning the Shoreline Conference game 50-48. Hannah Behringer had 14 points and freshman Julia Strycharz scored 11 for Old Lyme (8-7).
• East Lyme's Matt Chan went 6-0 as the Vikings beat New London (6-3) and Griswold (7-2) in foil. Griswold beat New London 5-4. In epee, East Lyme beat Griswold 7-2 as Kris Farley led the Vikings with a 3-0 record.
• Fitch beat Waterford in foil 7-2, but lost to Bacon 6-3. Bacon also defeated Waterford 7-2. In epee, Waterford beat Fitch 5-4 and lost to Bacon 5-4. Fitch lost to Bacon 6-3. Waterford's Micah Greenleaf went 5-1.
• Ledyard beat St. Bernard 8-1 and NFA 5-4 in foil, while NFA swept St. Bernard 9-0. David Allen led the Colonels to victory. St. Bernard's Zack Zuvalanka had highest point indicator in epee in a 6-3 win over NFA.
• Griswold won twice in foil, beating East Lyme and New London 6-3. East Lyme beat New London 7-2. Soraya Colon-Milan of New London and Angeline Adamski of East Lyme each went 5-1. East Lyme beat Griswold 6-3 in epee as Liz Zamarka went 3-0 for the Vikings.
• Fitch beat Waterford 6-3 and Bacon 8-1 in foil, while Waterford defeated Bacon 5-4. Chesca Bonevie went a 6-0 record. In epee, Fitch beat Waterford 8-1 as Maddy Rusk and McKennea Mason both went 3-0.
• Senior Angelica Rayment had the highest point indicator with a plus 22 in foil, leading NFA past St. Bernard 8-1 and Ledyard 7-2. Ledyard also beat St. Bernard 7-2. In epee, St. Bernard defeated NFA 5-4.
• Williams lost to St. George's, 6-1, but Adam Verhoeff won at No. 1.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA