Local roundup: Coast Guard women rout rival Merchant Marine 60-37
Kings Point, N.Y. — Coast Guard Academy snapped a two-game losing streak by beating rival Merchant Marine, 60-37, in women's basketball action on Monday night.
Junior reserve Dani Knox finished with 10 points and a career-high 13 rebounds, registering her third double-double this season for the Bears (16-5). Sophomore Meghan Fornaro had 13 points and junior Alexi Howland added 10 points and a game-high four steals.
Coast Guard won despite shooting just 29 percent from the field. The Bears led 28-13 at intermission.
• Cane Broome had 22 points, four assists and three rebounds, leading St. Thomas More past Northfield Mount Hermon, 86-75. Calvin Crawford (10), Eric Paschall (18), Yuta Watanabe (13), Mike Wells (11) and Josh Williams (10) also scored in double figures for the Chancellors (22-4) and Watanabe and Paschall each added six rebounds apiece. St. Thomas More visits Brewster Academy on Wednesday in a showdown between the top two teams in the NEPSAC Class AAA.
H.S. boys' basketball
• Cheney Tech outlasted Grasso Tech 72-63 in the Constitution State Conference despite a 34 points, 20 rebound effort by the Eagles' J'Quan Monroe. Kevin Philibert added 18 for Grasso Tech (5-8).
H.S. girls' basketball
• Hannah Behringer scored 24 points to power Old Lyme past Hale-Ray, 58-52, in the Shoreline Conference. Sloane Sweitzer added 14 points for the Wildcats (9-7, 8-6).
• New London finished its regular season with a 42-22 victory over Bacon Academy in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division. Alan Montero (152 pounds) and George Hidalgo (170) had pins for the Whalers (7-5, 3-2) while Mike Commander (120) earned a major decision and Watson Joseph (138) and Luis Gonzales (160) recorded decisions.
• Eric Sloan scored 196 points as Montville defeated Grasso Tech at Quaker Hill Rod and Gun Club. Sloan shot a perfect score in the kneeling position while Montville's Tyler Glynn and Grasso Tech's Dino Broccoli had perfect scores in the prone postion. Glynn added a 191 for the Indians (4-2) while Mack Foster led Grasso (1-5) with a 181.
• Paige Hackney took first in the floor exercise with a score of 8.5, leading Stonington past Old Lyme, 118.95-116.5. Norwich Free Academy, East Lyme and Waterford also competed. Old Lyme's Maranda Ealahan won the bars (7.9) while NFA's Quinn Sinay and Stonington's Abbey Contino tied for first in the vault (8.45) and Ashley Detuzzi of Old Lyme won the all-around (31.3) and beam (8.1).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES