- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich Free Academy senior defensive lineman Tuzar Skipper will attend Monroe College, a junior college in New Rochelle, N.Y., next fall, NFA coach Jemal Johnson said Tuesday.
Skipper played an instrumental role in NFA qualifying for the CIAC Class LL playoffs the previous two seasons, including a berth in the 2012 championship game. The Wildcats went 20-4 the past two seasons and were the 2012 Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division champions.
Skipper was also a two-time selection to both The Day's All-Area team and the Connecticut High School Coaches' Association Class LL all-state team.
"In terms of giving him an opportunity to play at the highest level, this allows him to try to obtain that dream," Davis said. "He looked at various junior colleges locally. … He felt that Monroe, for him, was a better fit. He knows a couple of guys in the program, and the proximity (appealed to him), it being about two hours away."
• East Lyme remained unbeaten in the ECC with a 70-22 win over New London. Simon Wechsler won the 100-yard butterfly (1:15.63) and 100 backstroke (1:15.24) for the Vikings (12-2, 8-0), who won every event. New London is 0-8, 0-8.
• Steven Boyd won the 200 and 500 freestyle events to help lead Ledyard/Stonington past Waterford, 93-77 in the ECC. Boyd won the 200 in 2:07.08 and the 500 in 5:47.82 for the Colonels (7-3, 6-3) while Elson Guo won the 50 free (23.78) and 100 butterfly (58.17) for the Lancers (2-8, 2-8).
• Aidan Karam won the 200-yard freestyle and 500 freestyle in NFA's 97-88 loss to Windham/Coventry/RHAM. Walker Cook added a win in the 100 free for the Wildcats (3-6, 3-6), and both were on a pair of winning relay teams.
• UConn-Avery Point went eight-for-13 from 3-point range to stay close before dropping an 80-73 decision to Naval Prep. Keith Porter scored 17 points and Kevin Pape had 16 for the Pointers (11-11).
• NFA graduate Kastine Evans, a senior guard on the Kentucky basketball team, was named to the 2014 Allstate WBCA Good Works Team, which recognizes college basketball players for their community service.
• Ashley Anctil scored her fifth and sixth goals of the season, leading Connecticut College past St. Michael's College, 4-2. Julia Rodricks and Stephanie Izzi also scored for the Camels (9-10-3).
• Coast Guard Academy freshman Phillip Azzari has been named the Pilgrim Wrestling League Rookie of the Week. Azzari, wrestling at 197 pounds, went 3-0 last week, including a come-from-behind 4-3 win that helped the Bears rally past WPI 17-16.
• UConn announced it will play a home-and-home series against Big Ten member Illinois during the 2019 and 2020 seasons. Illinois will visit the Huskies at Rentschler Field on Sept. 7, 2019, UConn will travel to Champaign, Ill., on Sept. 12, 2020. The Fighting Illini play in Memorial Stadium, which seats 60,670.