Norwich man presented in court on home invasion charge
A 42-year-old man accused of kicking in the door of a New London home in December and threatening the occupant with a knife made his first appearance Wednesday in the New London court where major crimes are tried.
Mychael Wright, 42, of Norwich, also known as “Skillet,” was charged Dec. 5 with home invasion after police said he broke into 25 Denison Ave. and threatened the adult male occupant, whom he knew, with a large knife. Two small children were in the home at the time, including one who was visibly shaken and said he was afraid “Uncle Skillet” was going to hurt him.
The 37-year-old occupant, looking pale and panicked, met Patrolman Kurt Lavimoniere at the door when police went to the home for a reported altercation, according to an incident report. He whispered that Wright had broken in and was inside the home with the children.
Wright seemed surprised that police had been called and said the male occupant let him in and that he was supposed to drive Wright to a dentist appointment earlier in the day, according to the report. Wright denied forcing entry into the home, even when confronted with his bootprints on the door, according to the report.
Police did not recover a knife at the scene, though they seized Wright’s car after the homeowner told them Wright had returned to his car and returned without the knife after the incident.
Wright remains in prison in lieu of a $15,000 cash or surety bond. During Wednesday’s court appearance, Judge Hillary B. Strackbein appointed attorney Linda J. Sullivan to represent him, entered a not guilty plea and continued the case to March 4. State court records indicate Wright was convicted of third-degree assault in 2009 and received a suspended prison sentence followed by 18 months of probation.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA