- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Vero Beach, Fla. - Pinch-hitter Chris Mayhew's RBI single with one out in the bottom of the seventh inning gave UConn-Avery Point a 2-1 baseball victory over Westchester Community College on Sunday.
Mayhew's hit scored pinch-runner Nick Landell, who ran for Izzy Davila (leadoff single), moved to second on a passed ball and to third on a sacrifice bunt by Joel Acosta.
Andrew Hinckley, who pitched a 1-2-3 top of the seventh, earned the win in relief ofr Baylor Lapointe, who allowed only two hits with one walk and four strikeouts over six innings for the Pointers (5-2).
In other games:
• UConn held off Villanova 7-6 to win the Big 5 Baseball Bash with a perfect 3-0 record. Shortstop Aaron Hill, a freshman from Fitch, led the Huskies (8-8), who have won four straight, by going 2-for-3 with two runs and an RBI. During the four-game winning streak Smith is 8-for-16 with six runs, four RBI and a stolen base.
• Rebecca McGovern's goal with 3:12 remaining gave Williams College an 8-7 win over Connecticut College in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Taylor Thomas scored a pair of goals for the Camels (2-3, 0-2) and goalie Allisa Dalpe made nine saves.
H.S. indoor track
• Ledyard's Joe Carter placed 41st and Waterford's Julio Gil-Martinez 49th in the 200-meter dash at the national indoor games in New York. Carter was timed in 22.83 seconds and Gil-Martinez in 23.10.
• Conn College's coed team placed fifth in the Southern New England Team Race Intersectional on the Thames River. Boston College won the meet.
In addition, Conn's women's team finished 10th in the St. Mary's (Md.) Intersectional Regatta. Juniors Liz Dubovik and Alix Israel placed ninth in the A division while Rebecca Quirke, Alexandra Romagnoli and Eliza Garry (Marblehead, Mass.) were 16th in the B division.
• Conn College improved to 3-1 with a 6-3 win over Charleston (West Va.) in Pinehurst, N.C. Joshua Suneby, JC Cangelosi, Jonathan Kraiger and Will Tucker won singles matches for the Camels as did the doubles teams of Kragier-Jonathan Deeter and Cangelosi-Suneby.
College indoor track
• Williams College senior Brianne Mirecki, the former East Lyme standout, earned All-America status for the third and fourth times with a fifth-place finish in the mile run and a sixth place as part of the distance medley relay at the NCAA Division III Championships at Lincoln, Neb. Mirecki is also an Academic All-American.
• The following local swimmers have qualified for the CIAC class meet championships off their performances on Saturday:
Class LL (Wednesday at Wesleyan, 3 p.m.) - NFA: 200 free relay of Tyler Keith, Walker Cook, Jon Yeuen, Aidan Karam (9th, 1:34.57, school record); 400 free relay of Keith, Cook, Yeuen, Karam (14th, 3:31.99, school record); Karam, 200 freestyle (8th, 1:49.36) and 500 free (22th, 4:58.92); Cook, 100 free (24th, 51.55).
Class L (Wednesday at Wesleyan, 7:15 p.m.) - Ledyard/Stonington: 200 medley relay of John Moody, Jack Wheeler, Frederick France, Collin Esquirol (12th, 1:50.57); Moody, 100 backstroke (24th, 1:01.53); Esquirol, 100 free (24th, 52.86); 200 freestyle relay of France, Steven Boyd, Alex Orf, Tylor Harlow (12th, 1:39.41); Wheeler, 100 breaststroke (30th, 1:11.36); 400 free relay of Esquirol, Boyd, Orf, Moody (13th, 3:24.33).
Class M (Tuesday at Wesleyan, 3 p.m.) - East Lyme: 200 medley relay of Zach Kosakowski, Clayton Otter, Eric Stirtan, Ben Biondi (1st, 1:41.02); Chris Naktenis, 200 free (15th, 1:55.44); Ryan Dumais, 200 free (18th, 1:56.14) and 500 free (12th, 5:10.00); Antonio Smith, 500 free (19th, 5:18.94); Otter, 200 IM (5th, 2:04.68) and 100 breaststroke (11th, 1:04.92); Benas Kirvelevicius, 200 IM (15th, 2:12.01) and 100 breast (22nd, 1:08.48); Evan Opsahl, 200 IM (16th, 2:12.18) and 500 free (16th, 5:16.67); Nick Ferguson, 200 IM (20th, 2:15.11); Biondi, 50 free (3rd, 22:05) and 100 free (7th, 49.40); Stirtan, 50 free (9th, 22.96) and 100 butterfly (6th, 56.02); Austin Toback, 100 fly (7th, 56.10) and 100 back (9th, 59.09); Kosakowski, 100 fly (12th, 57.35) and 100 backstroke (5th, 56.44); Ethan Opsahl, 100 free (20th, 52.28) and 100 breast (19th, 1:07.47); 200 free relay of Biondi, Toback, Otter, Stirtan (1st, 1:30.39); 400 free relay of Naktenis, Kosakowski, Ethan Opsahl, Kirvelevicius (6th, 3:26.44); Waterford: 200 medley relay of Ryan Hessling, Kevin Su, Elson Guo, Daniel Clark (15th, 1:52.14); Guo, 50 free (16th, 23.61) and 100 fly (5th, 55.97); Hessling, 100 back (16th, 1:00.60); Su, 100 breast (23rd, 1:08.76); Fitch: 200 medley relay of Will Ferguson, Malik Mitchell, Alex Belair, Josh Fillion (20th, 2:06.42); Sam Kokomoor, 200 free (11th, 1:53.77) and 500 free (9th, 5:03.52); Adian Ely, 200 IM (9th, 2:06.41) and 100 fly (13th, 57.77); Dakota Williams, 50 free (2nd, 22:04) and 100 free (5th, 48.79); 200 free relay of Ely, Kokomoor, Sean Estep, Williams (8th, 1:33.40); 400 free relay of Ely, Kokomoor, Estp, Williams (5th, 3:26.15).
Class S (Tuesday at Wesleyan, 7:15 p.m.) - Old Lyme: Jacob Olson, 200 free (10th, 159.37) and 500 free (8th, 5:28.97).