Local Roundup: Coast Guard's Brindamour wins 50 freestyle at NCAA Div. III meet
Indianapolis - Coast Guard's Christian Brindamour won the 50 freestyle at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships at IUPUI to earn All-America status for the first time in his career.
The junior won with a school-record tying time of 20.06 beating Ross Speck from Emory who touched the wall at 20.15 to finish second. He had tied his own school-record which he set earlier in the day. He becomes the first Coast Guard male swimmer to win a national championship since 1996 when Bob Hueller won the 200 backstroke.
Brindamour was the top-seed with the fastest time and school-record time of 20.11 during the season entering the NCAA Championship and he broke the school-record with a time of 20.06 during the preliminaries, the second fastest time of the morning, to earn a spot in the finals. Junior Austin Fathman from MIT had the best time in the preliminaries (20.04). He was 13th in the 50 freestyle last season (20.46) at the NCAA Championships while also placing 25th in the 100 freestyle (45.40) and 33rd in the 100 backstroke (51.81).
Five Connecticut College swimmers also earned All-America status on the first day. Senior Julia Pielock finished 11th in the women's 50 freestyle at 23.51, earning All-America status for the second straight year. And the men's 200 medley relay team of Michael Fothergill, Kirk Czelewicz, Sam Gill and Drew Andre' were also All-America with a 10th-place finish (1:30.33).
• UConn sophomore point guard Moriah Jefferson has been named a finalist for the 2014 Nancy Lieberman Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced. Candidates exhibit the floor leadership, play-making abilities and ball-handling skills of Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman. As a sophomore, Jefferson is the youngest of the five finalists. The winner will be announced at the Final Four in April.
• Adrian Go scored with 2:09 left in the second overtime period to lift Mt. St. Vincent to a 5-4 win over Mitchell College. David Klapp scored three goals and Demetre Lyras had a goal and an assist for Mitchell (3-3). Waterford's Shane Sullivan and Maxx Crowley had assists and JD LeMay made 15 saves for Mitchell.
• Tyler Hegarty scored four goals as Connecticut College beat Plattsburgh State 8-7 at Arnold, Md. Chad Sawyer scored twice and JR Hartgers had three assists for Conn (4-2).
• Taylor Thomas had three goals and Charlotte McAuley scored twice, leading Conn College (3-3)to a 9-6 win over Roger Williams.
• NFA's Aidan Karam placed sixth in the 200 yard freestyle (1:46.86) at the CIAC Class LL swimming championships at Wesleyan. Greenwich finished with 913 points to win its 40 Class LL title. NFA placed 17th (106.5).
• Nick Landel had an RBI single and scored as Avery Point handed Kirkwood CC (Iowa) its first loss of the season, 2-0, at Vero Beach, Fla. Andrew Reel allowed just two hits over five innings with four strikeouts for his first win and Kyle Hart hit an RBI single for the Pointers (9-3). Also, Connor Buckley of Stonington scored. Kirkwood is 8-1.
• Mitchell College opened its home schedule by splitting a doubleheader with Norwich University, winning the opener 4-3 and losing the second game 2-1. Brittany Fiederlein (2-4) scattered eight hits to win the opener, striking out three with no walks. Jenny Groman had two hits for Mitchell (2-9) in the first game and Samantha Ryan of Quaker Hill homered in the second game.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES