- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich – Three Rivers Community College was evacuated briefly this afternoon because of a report of the odor of gas.
East Great Plain Fire Department was called to the school at 574 New London Turnpike at 4:22 p.m. with Norwich Public Utilities. Police said an investigation determined there was no leak.
NPU General Manager John Bilda said along with the call to the school, another call of a potential gas leak came from 77 Salem Turnpike, a shopping plaza on Route 82. Nothing was found in that location either.
Bilda said since the recent gas explosions elsewhere in the country — including an apartment building destroyed in Manhattan — the number of calls to NPU for potential gas leaks has skyrocketed. He said most calls prove to be false alarms, but he said crews respond equally to all calls.