Smell of gas leads to evacuation at Three Rivers
Norwich – Three Rivers Community College was evacuated briefly this afternoon because of a report of the odor of gas.
East Great Plain Fire Department was called to the school at 574 New London Turnpike at 4:22 p.m. with Norwich Public Utilities. Police said an investigation determined there was no leak.
NPU General Manager John Bilda said along with the call to the school, another call of a potential gas leak came from 77 Salem Turnpike, a shopping plaza on Route 82. Nothing was found in that location either.
Bilda said since the recent gas explosions elsewhere in the country — including an apartment building destroyed in Manhattan — the number of calls to NPU for potential gas leaks has skyrocketed. He said most calls prove to be false alarms, but he said crews respond equally to all calls.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA