- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Mariners in the spotlight
• Demetre Lyras of Mitchell College was honored as the New England Collegiate Conference Player of the Week in men's lacrosse. The senior had a team-high five points in an 11-10 win over Regis, including the game-winning goal. He had four goals and an assist and won 11 of his 19 faceoffs. Through seven games, Lyras has 14 goals and five assists.
• Freshman Brittany Fiederlein was named NECC Pitcher of the Week in softball, a week after winning rookie of the week honors. Fiederlein dropped a 1-0 decision to Fitchburg State, but pitched a seven-hitter and allowed just an unearned run. She struck out three and walked three.
• Freshman pitcher Axel De Jesus was named the NECC Rookie of the Week in baseball. He earned his first varsity win in a 9-4 victory over Johnson & Wales, allowing two earned runs and seven hits over six innings. De Jesus struck out four and walked two.
• The Connecticut College women's water polo team went 7-0 over the weekend at the Washington & Jefferson round-robin event. The Camels (12-6) had 130 goals, averaging 18.6 per match. Junior co-captain Kate Jacobson leads the club with 62 goals scored. Nicky Jasbon has 54 goals, 26 assists and 72 steals and Kelsey Millward has 43 goals with 44 steals. Isabelle Baneux leads Conn with 58 assists and also has 25 goals, 39 steals and 12 earned ejections.
• Conn's coed sailing team finished 14th out of 16 teams last weekend at the 33rd Lynne Marchiando Regatta hosted by MIT. The Camels were 6-16 at the event.
• The Conn men's tennis team lost its New England Small College Athletic Conference opener Saturday, falling to Wesleyan 6-2. Josh Suneby and Jonathan Kraiger won singles matches for the Camels (4-2).
Around the region
• New London's Fredrick Hewett, a senior at Eastern Connecticut State University, was named Little East Conference Male Track Athlete of the Week. Hewett, a Ledyard High School graduate who also won the award during the indoor season, won the 400 meters Saturday at the Coast Guard Invitational with a time of 49.97 seconds. The time qualified Hewett for the New England and ECAC Division III championships.
- Day staff reports