Login  /  Register  | 3 premium articles left before you must register.

Old Lyme restaurant fire ruled accidental

By Izaskun E. Larrañeta

Publication: theday.com

Published April 07. 2014 11:00AM   Updated April 07. 2014 11:17AM

Old Lyme — A fire that severely damaged the kitchen of The Grille on Shore Road has been ruled accidental, a fire official said Monday.

Fire Marshal David Roberge said that a properly installed and insulated stove was in the vicinity of an empty junction box. He said through time heat from the stove would enter the junction box and eventually weakened the ignition point of the wood in the wall, causing the fire.

Roberge said the property owner is working on isolating the damage in the kitchen and a cleaning crew is working on cleaning the rest of the restaurant.

He said the owner is hoping to reopen by the end of the week.

The Old Lyme Fire Department was called out shortly before 2 p.m. Friday. Firefighters at the scene pulled apart a portion of the kitchen wall to find fire inside, and prevented it from spreading into the ceiling void and an apartment above the restaurant.

News by Town

Most Recent Poll
How do you see UConn's basketball season ending this year?
I'm feeling lucky. I predict both men's and women's national titles.
32%
The men are lucky to have made it this far. I don't know if they can win against Florida again.
19%
No matter how the men do, we can count on the women to bring home a national title.
24%
The men have the momentum to win and the drive to prove themselves after not being able to compete last year.
10%
I'm more interested in the start of baseball season.
15%
Number of votes: 1197

No current items found