- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Troy Stango pitched a three-hitter in the second game as the Mitchell College baseball team completed a doubleheader sweep of Maine Presque Isle with a 6-0 win Monday.
Stango (2-0) struck out two with no walks. Mitchell (11-9-1) won the opener 4-3 with Kevin Toro's two-run single capping a three-run seventh and ending the game. Waterford's Gavin LaLima, Will Charkowsky and Toro had two hits each in the opener and Evan Peck and Toro had two hits each in the second game.
In other games:
• Westfield State broke a 2-2 tie with a sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth inning and went on to beat Coast Guard 3-2. Westfield State (8-9) scored twice in the first inning. Coast Guard (9-14) got a run back in the second when Kyle Wood scored on a botched double play ball and tied the game in the fifth when Blake Thompson scored on a sacrifice fly by Kyle Jackson.
• Bancroft scored seven runs in the top of the third inning and went on to beat Williams School 12-1 in five innings. Bancroft had four hits in the inning and took advantage of three errors by Williams. Andy Meagher, who had two hits, scored on a sacrifice fly by Nick Smith in the third inning for Williams (1-2).
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Brendan Strobel scored seven goals and had three assists as St. Thomas More beat Watkinson 17-2. Alek Burgess had four goals and two assists, Jawon Grant scored twice, Lee Hamilton had two assists and Kory Fortier made 10 saves for T-More (1-1).
• Rocky Hill School of Rhode Island scored with one second left in regulation to force overtime and beat Williams School 10-9 on a goal as time expired in overtime. Tony Reiser had five goals, Jack Fader had a goal and six assists and Xavier Mills, Porter Girty and Andrew Bronk also scored for Williams.
College men's tennis
• Mitchell College beat Albertus Magnus 5-1 in a match shortened due to rain. Graham Cavanaugh and Adam Diaz won singles matches and teamed up for a doubles win for the Mariners (4-2). The doubles teams of Orson Sinclair-Randy Coons and Chris McKeon-Michael Berman also won for Mitchell.
• Connecticut College senior Michael LeDuc was named New England Small College Athletic Conference Performer of the Week in men's track. LeDuc won the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 8:56.48 at the Sam Howell Invite at Princeton on Friday night to qualify for the NESCAC, New England Division III, ECAC and All-New England postseason meets.
• Coast Guard senior Adam Scalesse was named New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference Athlete of the Week in men's track. Scalesse was the only Division III competitor in the Florida Relays on Friday and ran 14.32 seconds in the 110 hurdles and 53.31 in the 400 hurdles. His 110 time was tops among Division III hurdlers in the nation and his 400 time ranks him No. 4 overall nationally.
• Mitchell College freshman goalie JD LeMay was named New England Collegiate Conference Rookie of the Week in men's lacrosse. LeMay recorded 27 saves in two games while racking up a save percentage of .711 for the Mariners, including 15 saves in a 7-3 win over SUNYIT.
• Mitchell sophomore Graham Cavanaugh was named NECC Player of the Week in men's tennis. Cavanaugh went 2-0 in both singles and doubles play last week against Regis and Becker, teaming up with Zachary Simmons for both doubles victories.
• Mitchell freshman pitcher Brittany Fiederlein was named NECC Pitcher of the Week in softball. Fiederlein went 2-0 and earned her first collegiate save for the Mariners. She also pitched her first shutout, a two-hitter against Bay Path, and finished the week allowing only one run on six hits in 13 innings with seven strikeouts.
• Mitchell softball first baseman Shannon O'Neil was named NECC Player of the Week in softball. O'Neil batted .692 with a home run, four doubles and six RBI in leading the Mariners to four wins. She recorded multiple hits in all four games, including a 5-for-7 effort in a doubleheader against Bay Path with five RBI and her first career home run.
• Mitchell freshman Ashley Murtha was named NECC Rookie of the Week in women's lacrosse. Murtha scored nine goals in two games, including six in a loss to Mass. Maritime. She also had 16 draw controls in the two games.