H.S. baseball roundup: Waterford edges Fitch as Goss pitches one-hitter
Groton - Adam Goss pitched a one-hitter on opening day for the Waterford High School baseball team, allowing the only hit with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, as the Lancers topped Fitch 3-0 on Wednesday.
Fitch's Dan Mewha broke up the no-hitter with a single up the middle.
Seth Hoagland hit a solo home run in the first inning for Waterford and the Lancers, who topped Fitch for the Eastern Connecticut Conference tournament title last year, added runs in the second and fourth innings. Brent Conderino also finished with a single and a double.
David Porter pitched six innings, striking out nine, for Fitch.
In other games:
• Andy Grant's RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning gave Norwich Free Academy a 12-11 victory over New London at Dodd Stadium. The Wildcats once trailed 11-5. Eddie Gates and Chance Gendren each had three hits and a double for NFA while Jason Edwards had three hits, including a pair of doubles, for the Whalers and Josh Vincent added three hits.
• Montville scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning and went on to beat East Lyme 4-1. Buddy Dewaine's RBI single broke a 1-1 tie, Jordan Zeppieri tripled him home and Zeppieri scored on Stan Kesilewski's second double of the game. Joseph Brachas pitched an eight-hitter for the win with six strikeouts and one walk, Zeppieri was 4-for-4 and TT Bowens was 3-for-4 for Montville. Connor Elliott had a double for East Lyme and Dean Beebe's RBI single in the top of the sixth tied the game.
• Billy Buscetto was 5-for-5 with a home run, double and four RBI as Old Lyme beat Hale-Ray 20-5 in the Shoreline Conference. Matty Pryzbysz was the winning pitcher and went 4-for-4 with two doubles, three RBI and four runs scored. Trent Garbati (three runs) and Ross Golebiewski had two hits each for Old Lyme.
• Aaron Michaud was 3-for-4 with a triple and three RBI, while Anthony Malchiodi and Willie Rios each went 2-for-2 in St. Bernard's 22-4 victory over Wheeler in an ECC Small Division game at Dodd Stadium. Rios had an inside the park home run with three runs and five RBI and Malchiodi scored four runs, while Ian Li pitched five innings for the victory, allowing four hits.
• Jake Parizo's two-run double and Alden Schuman's two-run single highlighted a seven-run fourth inning that vaulted Williams to a 16-4 victory over St. Thomas More in the SENE. Parizo, Schuman, Ben Lahm and Noah Bavolack each had two hits for the Blues (2-2, 1-0) while Dan Li and Guy Shapiro each had a hit and run scored for T-More (0-1, 0-1).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES