- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich — Emily DeVito drove in five runs as the Norwich Free Academy softball team beat Stonington 15-5 on the opening day of the high school season Wednesday.
Emily Arico (three RBI), DeVito, Melissa Castillo (two RBI) and Sophia Formiglio (three runs) had two hits each for NFA. Kaitlyn Kelly was the winning pitcher, allowing one run over four innings.
Meagan Dreher had three hits and Theresa Kane and Brooke Arruda had two hits each for Stonington.
In other games:
• Nicole Dutka had a two-run home run and Caitlyn Perkins a three-run triple to highlight a 13-run first inning as Montville defeated New London 24-1 in a game shortened to five innings. Emily Bigelow was 2-for-3 with three runs scored for Montville and freshman Corrynne Medina recorded her first varsity hit with a two-run double in the fourth.
• Ledyard pitcher Chloe Hespeler scattered four hits as the Colonels defeated St. Bernard 5-1. Hespeler didn't walk a batter and struck out eight for the Colonels, who were led offensively by Fran Francischelli (2-for-3), Haley Wilt (single, two RBI) and Brianna Bisson (sacrifice fly). Sophie Nelson went 2-for-3 with a double for St. Bernard and Gretchen Greene added two hits and drove in the lone run.
• Jackie Lewis, Taylor Wolfgang and Nalissa Amar each hit home runs for Fitch in a 21-0 defeat of Westerly in a game called after five innings due to the mercy rule. Lewis, Wolfgang, Mackenzie Aldridge and Jo Hobert had three hits each and combined for eight RBI, while winning pitcher Caroline Taber had two hits. Ten different players had hits for the Falcons.
• University/Classical had 15 hits and received 19 walks, beating Grasso Tech 28-8 in the Constitution State Conference. Tabitha Ford had three hits and Amanda Overton and Shebony Gaston had two hits each for Grasso.
• Morgan scored four runs in the bottom of the first inning and beat Wheeler 5-0. Jenn Paride took the loss, allowing one earned run and five hits over six innings with 10 strikeouts and two walks.