- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Caroline Taber pitched a three-hitter with 15 strikeouts as Fitch High School beat Waterford 14-3 in a softball game Thursday.
Nalissa Amar drove in four runs, Taylor Wolfgang had two hits and drove in three runs, Olivia Knotts had two hits and scored twice and Cassie Woods drove in two runs for Fitch (2-0). Taber (2-0) walked one.
Tori VanCleave took the loss for Waterford (0-1).
In other games:
• Ali Patterson had three hits and Gretchen Greene a single, a triple and an RBI as St. Bernard defeated Haddam-Killingworth 4-1. Shoshana Berkman added an RBI and winning pitcher Amy Bouchard allowed just three hits, striking out four and walking none for the Saints (1-1).
• Freshman Cameron Dreher had three hits for the Stonington High School softball team in a 15-5 loss to Norwich Free Academy in her varsity debut Wednesday. She was incorrectly identified in Thursday's edition.
• Kavan Jakuba and Jordan Kowalski each went 4-for-4 as Ledyard beat Norwich Tech 9-0. Nick Traystman doubled and scored twice, Jakuba doubled and scored three runs and Kowalski tripled, drove in four runs and scored twice for Ledyard. Evan August was the winner, allowing four hits over six innings with seven strikeouts and four walks. Anthony Viteritto and Andrew Byrd each doubled and drove in a run for Ledyard.
• Montville scored five runs in the top of the first inning and held on to beat Fairfield Warde 8-6. T.T. Bowens had a two-run single, Isaiah Mack had a sacrifice fly and Joseph Brachas and Pat Monahan had RBI singles in the first for Montville (2-0). Buddy Dewaine and Bowens each scored twice and Bowens drove in three runs. Chad Mooney earned the win and Stan Kesilewski got the final out with the tying run at the plate to earn a save.
• Griswold beat St. Bernard 12-10 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division game. Patrick Halloran was 3-for-4 with three RBI, Willie Rios had two hits and James Foti and Ian Li each had two hits and scored twice for St. Bernard (1-1, 1-1).
• Michelina Pinto scored five goals as Fitch beat Waterford 16-14. Susannah Lucey had three goals and four assists, Daria McKenna had two goals and two assists, Bailey Mahler scored twice and Jackie Kokomoor had a goal and three assists for Fitch (1-1). McKenzie Potter had six goals, Julia Peay had four goals and two assists and Lexis Lewis had two goals and two assists for Waterford (1-1).
• Sloane Sweitzer scored five goals in Old Lyme's 12-10 loss to Old Saybrook in the Shoreline Conference. Allie Buckley added two goals and three assists and Catie Quaratella had two goals for the Wildcats. Molly Beck had six goals for Old Saybrook.
• Gabby Iaconiello scored seven goals and had three assists as Montville won its first game as a varsity program, beating Griswold 15-7 Wednesday. Katherine Namin had four goals and two assists, Emily Kewer had two goals and an assist and Marissa Zimmerman made seven saves for Montville.
• St. Bernard beat Woodstock Academy 16-8 Wednesday. Shannon Amarello, Flora Klise and Kara Bassett had three goals each and Danielle Guth, Grace Mayeda and Brianne Hoffa each scored twice for St. Bernard.
• Jake Christenson scored three goals, leading Ledyard to a 10-3 win over Fitch. Nick Lauer had two goals and an assist, Ian Foster and Nick LoBianco had two goals each, Matthew Scahill scored and Paul Bossardet made seven saves for Ledyard (1-0). Grayson Reuling, Ryan Reuling and Tim Drake had goals, Robert Watts had two assists and Shawn Lee made eight saves for Fitch (0-1).
• Montville lost in its varsity lacrosse debut, dropping a 20-3 decision to Bacon Academy. Tyler Price had two goals and Kyle Marsh added a goal and an assist for the Indians.
H.S. boys' tennis
• Willie Dong won his No. 4 singles match and Waterford swept doubles in a 4-3 win over St. Bernard. Nicholas Zuczek, Alexander Zuczek and Chris Renaud posted wins for the Saints.
H.S. girls' tennis
• Norwich Tech beat Prince Tech 6-1 in the Constitution State Conference. Olivia Kenyon, Hannah Holloway, Emily Kivela and Lauren Viele won their singles matches and Phoebe Joyner-Kivela and Heather Wilson-Holloway teamed up for doubles wins for Norwich Tech.
• Old Lyme fell to Valley Regional 6-1 in the Shoreline Conference. The doubles team of Hannah Behringer and Amanda Joyce won for Old Lyme (1-1, 1-1).
• Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr, Lexi Moger and Francisca Secor all won their singles matches in Waterford's 6-1 win over St. Bernard. The No. 2 doubles team of Anna McKinley and Katherine Matthews won in three sets for the Saints.
• Norwich Tech's Alex Valdes won medalist honors with an 8-over-par 44 as the Warriors beat Prince Tech 207-268 in the CSC. Josh Rees shot a 50 for Norwich Tech (2-0), 2-0).
• Grasso Tech split a CSC tri-match, beating Cheney Tech 217-221 but losing to Parish Hill 215-217. Trevor Hutchinson led Grasso (1-2, 1-2) with a 43.
• Matt Shea earned medalist honors with a 40, leading Waterford past Plainfield 7-0 and New London 7-0 in a Medium Division match at Great Neck Country Club in Waterford. Stephen Lavoie fired a 45 for the Lancers (2-0, 2-0). New London (0-2, 0-2) also lost to Plainfield (1-2, 1-2).
• Montville opened its season with a 7-0 win over Griswold in the ECC Small Division. Ryan Turney was the medalist with a 47 and Ben Reed, Cory Meigs, Bennett Stackpole and Chris Bouchard also won matches for the Indians.
• Norwich Tech beat Grasso Tech 204-211 in a CSC match Wednesday. Trevor Hutchinson of Grasso was the medalist with a six-over-par 42. Ackens King and Joe Bacon each shot a 49 for Norwich Tech.
H.S. boys' track
• Andris Vital won the 200 (23.5) and 100 (11.4) as Norwich Free Academy beat St. Bernard 135-14 and Bacon Academy 90-60. Danny Rojas took first in the long jump (20-2) while Jvon Brown won the shot put (43-4 1/4) and Will Strong (3,200, 10:42), Connor Gralton (1,600, 4:48) and the 4x100 relay team of Jesus Cruz, Kobe Amos, Eric Taylor and Vital also won events. St. Bernard also lost to Bacon 102-37.
H.S. girls' track
• Norwich Academy swept Bacon Academy (101-48) and St. Bernard (120-27) in a tri-meet. The Saints also lost to Bacon 90-41. Camille McKenzie took first in the 100 hurdles (17.1) and Gabbie Wise was first in the pole vault (9-6) while MiaLynne Park won the 100 (12.8) and 400 (60.1) for the Wildcats (2-0). Winners for St. Bernard: Ellen Arvidson (1,600, 5:53), Allison Regan (triple jump, 33-5 1/2) and Courtney Rusk (discus, 63-5).
• UConn-Avery Point committed six errors in a 6-5 loss to Massasoit Community College. Nick Perrelli had three hits, including a solo home run, and three RBI for the Pointers (21-6).
• Freshman goalie J.D. Melay made 12 saves, leading Mitchell College past Albertus Magnus, 13-7. Demetre Lylas scored six goals and Shane Sullivan added two goals and an assist for the Mariners (6-4).
Women's water polo
• Connecticut College lost to Brown 14-9 Wednesday night. Kate Jacobson had four goals and two steals, Nicky Jasbon had three goals and three assists and Isabelle Baneux had seven steals for Conn (12-7).