- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Ledyard High School's Jake Skilbred and Ben McHale rallied for a 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 1 doubles to help the Colonels edge Fitch 4-3 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division boys' tennis match Friday.
The Colonels (1-1, 1-1) also picked up a win from their No. 3 doubles team of Kenny Zhang-Bryan Brochu and from singles players Albert Miller and Brian Healy.
Jesse Moroyoqui won 7-6 (6), 6-3 at No. 1 singles for the Falcons (1-1), who also picked up wins from Jacob Kowalski and the No. 2 doubles team of Jim Lin-Kevin Ryan.
In other matches:
• Alan Luner, Shashwat Kala, and Benny and Willie Dong all won singles matches as Waterford bested Bacon Academy 7-0 in the ECC Medium.
Waterford is 2-0, 1-0.
• Killingly's Frantha Phonesavanh edged New London's Lorenzo Martinez 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 at No. 1 singles as the Redmen beat the Whalers 7-0 in the ECC Medium Division. New London is 0-2, 0-2.
• Montville's No. 1 doubles team of Gerald Aquino-Hunter Stepanien lost a tough 7-6, 4-6, 10-6 (tiebreaker) match as the Indians fell to Windham 7-0 in the ECC Small Division. It was the season opener for Montville.
• Fitch won three of four singles matches and swept the doubles en route to a 6-1 victory over Ledyard in the ECC Large Division. Laura Krick rallied for a 3-5, 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 4 singles for the Falcons (1-1, 1-1), who also picked up wins from Diana Francis and Bea Asoncion in singles and the doubles teams of Emma Nelson-Jingy Huang, Isabella Bean-Alana Domey and Kailey Sullivan-Jillian Leger. Mandy Wong won at No. 2 singles for the Colonels (0-2, 0-2).
• Singles players Lauren Rahr, Lexi Moger and Francisca Secor didn't lose a game in helping Waterford defeat Bacon Academy 7-0 in the ECC Medium. Nisha Rajamohan also won at No. 1 singles 6-1, 6-3 for the Lancers (2-0, 1-0), who lost only two games in sweeping the doubles matches.