- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Cherokee Strickland's two-run, two-out single capped a four-run rally in the bottom of the seventh inning to give the Coast Guard Academy softball team a 10-9 win over MIT and a sweep of a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference doubleheader Friday.
The Bears (10-14, 3-7), who had 29 hits in the two games, won the opener 10-2 in six innings.
Strickland was 3-for-5 with three RBI in the second game while Morgan Kingston was 3-for-4 with two RBI and Erin Lisko was 3-for-4 with two runs scored. Strickland also had two hits and four RBI in the opener while Jessie Richardson was 3-for-3 with an RBI and three runs.
• Colton Cannon scattered six hits over 6 2/3 innings with three earned runs and five strikeouts as Coast Guard beat WPI 7-4 in a NEWMAC game. Matt Hanks had two hits, a run and an RBI for Coast Guard (10-15, 5-6) and Mark Behne added a single and scored. Also, Lukas Laplante had three hits and an RBI. WPI is 14-10, 7-4.
• Rob Sprafke hit a two-run single for UConn-Avery Point in its 6-2 win over the Springfield College JV. Bryant Morander scattered four hits over 7 1/3 innings with three strikeouts and no earned runs for the Pointers (22-6). Also, Diondrey Sapp added three hits and an RBI.
• Steve Sieczkowski was 3-for-4 with two runs scored, a double and two stolen bases at Norwich Tech rallied from an early 2-0 deficit to defeat Kaynor Tech 7-5. Justin Keating added two hits and two RBI, Jason Grifase was 2-for-2 and Brandon Bastien had an RBI double for the Warriors (1-1), while Bryce Bedard (1-0) scattered seven hits over six innings for the win.
• Hunter Sheffield had two hits, two runs and two RBI as Old Lyme beat Westbrook 7-5 in the Shoreline Conference. Ross Golebiewski had an RBI single for Old Lyme (2-0, 2-0) and Cameron Dean-Frazier allowed no runs in three innings of relief to earn the save.
• Chase Collegiate struck for eight runs in the first inning and cruised past St. Thomas More 11-1 in the SENE. Guy Shapiro and John Wheatley had the only two hits for the Chancellors (0-2, 0-1).
• Winning pitcher Megan Weir pitched a three-hitter with six strikeouts and went 4-for-5 with an RBI as Norwich Free Academy trounced Glastonbury 14-1. Melissa Castillo went 3-for-5 with four RBI for NFA (2-0) and Sofia Formiglio had two doubles and two RBI.
• Jenn Paride allowed a leadoff single and then didn't allow another hit as Wheeler defeated Plainfield 6-0. Paride struck out 12 and walked one for the Lions (1-1) and also went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI. Raven Houck went 2-for-3 with a double, two RBI and two runs scored for Wheeler.
• Hannah Meyers went 3-for-3 with a double, three-run homer and five RBI to highlight Montville's 16-0 win over New London. Alyssa Mattison pitched a three-hitter for the Indians (2-0) while Katrina Awad added two triples, Emily Bigelow hit a two-run homer, Nicole Walmsley drove in three runs and Caitlin Perkins had two hits and scored three runs. New London is 0-2.
• Westbrook outslugged Old Lyme 16-12 in the Shoreline Conference. Ali Scott went 3-for-5 with two RBI for the Wildcats (0-2) while Kyra Teixeira added three hits.
• Tabitha Ford went 4-for-4 with two triples, a double, four runs scored and three RBI as Grasso Tech defeated Prince Tech 19-3. Anesti Seales added three hits, three runs and three RBI for the Eagles while Sophia Green and Amber Maher added two hits apiece.
• Kaynor Tech scored five runs in the first inning and cruised to a 21-6 win over Norwich Tech. Kerrie Bellerose led Norwich Tech with two hits and two RBI.
• Zachary Simmons, Graham Cavanaugh and Adam Diaz won the top three singles matches to lead Mitchell to its 7-0 win over Lesley. Mitchell is 3-3.