- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation recently presented Connecticut College with an Award of Merit for its Steel House renovation project.
Manufactured as a prefabricated house in 1933, the roughly 800-square foot Steel House was erected for Winslow Ames, founding director of the Lyman Allyn Art Museum. Connecticut College acquired the house in 1949, and it served as faculty housing for more than 50 years. Before its renovation, the Steel House was last occupied in 2004, and after it became vacant, it had fallen into disrepair.
Restoration efforts began in 2011. The college partnered with Materials Conservation Co., LLC, which dismantled the Steel House, then sent the parts to Philadelphia for thorough cleaning and restoration. In 2013, the house was reassembled on its former foundation at 130 Mohegan Ave. It opened in 2013 as the college's new Office of Sustainability.