- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Cherokee Strickland drilled a game-ending two-run homer on a 3-0 pitch in the bottom of the seventh inning to give Coast Guard Academy a 6-5 victory over Springfield College and a split of their New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference softball doubleheader on Monday.
The Bears (11-17, 4-10) kept their NEWMAC tournament hopes alive after losing the opener 13-8.
Coast Guard trailed the second game 5-3 heading into the seventh when Erin Lisko (2-for-4, two runs) scored on a wild pitch to close the gap to 5-4 and Strickland (3-for-4, 3 RBI, two runs) lined a pitch to dead center moments later to end the game.
Strickland also went 3-for-4 with a home run in the opener while Morgan Kingston went 2-for-2 with a solo home run and three runs scored.
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Will Witter scored five goals as Hall defeated Ledyard 11-6. Jake Christenson scored three goals for Ledyard (1-1) while Ian Foster, Alec Powell and Nick LoBianco each scored once and goalie Paul Bossaredet made 15 saves.
• Brendal Strobel had five goals and four assists and Alek Burgess added four goals and three assists in St. Thomas More's 11-5 win over Chase Collegiate. The Chancellors (3-2) broke the game open with four goals in the fourth quarter. Adam Brown-Bryant added one goal and one assist for T-More and Jawon Grant also scored.
H.S. girls' lacrosse
• Allie Buckley scored eight goals and had a pair of assists as Old Lyme defeated Bacon Academy 19-5. Sloane Sweitzer added five goals and three assists for the Wildcats, while Fiona Barrett and Mary Bolles each scored twice and goalie Meredith Britton made nine saves.
H.S. boys' tennis
• Unbeaten Waterford picked up straight-set wins from Alan Luner, Shashwat Kala, Benny Dong and Willie Dong to sweep the singles matches en route to a 6-1 win over Lyman Memorial. The Lancers (3-0) also picked up doubles wins from Matthew Hausman-Mike Castelpoggi and Evan Birdsall-Matt Dipolina.
H.S. girls' tennis
• Waterford swept the four singles matches and defeated Lyman Memorial 5-2. Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr, Lexi Moger and Francisca Secor all won in straight sets for the Lancers (3-0), who also picked up a win from the No. 2 doubles team of Alaina Moger-Kaylee Thurlow.
• Mallory Kane was 4-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored in Stonington's 10-4 victory over Westerly. Rhianna Maynard was 3-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI and Abby Blanchard 3-for-4 with two RBI and one run scored for the Bears (2-1).
• Montville scored three unearned runs in the fourth inning to rally past Killingly 4-3. Adrienne Foret drove in two runs for the Indians (3-0), while Alyssa Mattison scattered five hits to earn the win.
• Parish Hill built a 14-1 lead after three innings and cruised past Grasso Tech 22-7 in the Constitution State Conference. Ashley Cambisaca and Amber Maher had two hits apiece for Grasso, while Anesti Seales had a double and drove in three runs.
• Kerrie Bellerose had four hits and scored six runs in Norwich Tech's 19-17 loss to University/Classical. Madison Bodley added two hits with five runs for the Norwich Tech (0-3) and Abbey Prater had a double.