- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Scores updated at the end of each quarter. Winner
East Lyme - East Lyme High School rallied from a 3-0 deficit in the final two innings to pull out a 4-3 softball victory over Norwich Free Academy in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division on Wednesday.
It took one swing for the Vikings (2-0, 1-0) to tie the game in the bottom of the sixth when Erica Hill hit a three-run home to left. Then in the seventh, Sarah Bond tripled to right field and scored the game-winner on a sacrifice fly by Hannah Burke. Burke was 2-for-2 and helped make a winner of pitcher Meghan Welch, who went the distance for East Lyme.
Melissa Castillo had three hits, including a double, with an RBI for the Wildcats (2-1, 0-1) while Emily Arico and Sophia Formiglia added two hits apiece.
In other games:
• Ledyard struck for five runs in the first inning and cruised to a 9-1 victory over Woodstock Academy in the ECC Large Division. Chloe Hespeler went the distance for the Colonels (3-1, 1-1), scattering five hits and striking out three while Haley Wilt went 4-for-5 with a double, two runs and two RBI, Sarah Bennett was 2-for-4 with a triple, double, run and RBI and Savannah Johnson was 3-for-4 with a run and RBI.
• Olivia Novak drove in three runs and Gretchen Greene scored three times as St. Bernard beat Morgan 7-1 in a nonleague game. Amy Bouchard allowed two hits and no runs over six innings for the win. Shoshana Berkman drove in two runs, Greene had three hits and Ali Patterson, Kiely Smith and Novak had two hits each for St. Bernard (3-1).
• Cooper Robinson singled home Jimmy Kintner with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, lifting Fitch to a 3-2 win over NFA in the ECC Large Division. David Porter pitched a six-hitter for the win, striking out seven with five walks and Robinson also had a double for Fitch (1-3, 1-1). Andy Grant pitched a five-hitter for NFA (2-2, 0-2), Brandon Drabinski had a RBI double and Brandin Strickland led off the top of the seventh with a triple and came around to score the tying run.
• Andrew Byrd was 3-for-3 with a double and scored twice as Ledyard beat Bacon Academy 7-2 in an ECC Large Division game. Kyle Haney pitched a nine-hitter with the win, striking out four with one walk. Mike Larmann and Kavan Jakuba had two hits each and Jakuba drove in a pair of runs for Ledyard (3-0, 2-0).
• Portsmouth Abbey beat St. Thomas More 22-0. Mark Zdunek had a triple and Daniel Li doubled for T-More (0-4).
H.S. girls' lacrosse
• East Lyme jumped out to an 8-0 halftime lead and cruised past NFA, 14-7, in the ECC Large Division. Belle Kenny scored give goals to lead the Vikings (2-1, 1-0) while Caroline Gonsalves added two goals and one assist, Riley Aspinwall two goals, and Gabby Fiengo and Rebecca McGlone each had a goal and two assists. Hannah Long scored four goals for the Wildcats (0-4, 0-1).
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Ryan Reuling and Grayson Reuling scored three goals each at Fitch beat Woodstock 8-6 in the ECC Large Division. Andrew Singer had two goals and two assists and Rob Watts had three assists for Fitch (1-2, 1-0).
H.S. boys' tennis
• Waterford remained unbeaten with a 7-0 victory over NFA. Alan Luner, Shashwat Kala, Benny Dong and Willie Dong were straight-set winners in singles for the Lancers (4-0) as were the doubles teams of Adam Howard-Samson Herbert, Matthew Hausmann-Mike Castelpoggi and Evan Burdsall-Hugh Sokoliski. NFA is 0-2.
• Moses Brown beat Williams School 7-0. Josh Powell and Jon Powell teamed up for a doubles win for Williams, but Moses Brown won the other two doubles matches to earn the point.