- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Andrew Reel pitched a two-hit shutout in the first game and Matt Greene had hits in both games as UConn-Avery Point swept a baseball doubleheader from Lackawanna Junior College, 2-0 and 6-5, at Washington Park on Thursday.
In the first game, Reel earned his third win of the season. Greene scored on Garrett Delotto's RBI single and Alex Miller's double scored Connor Buckley.
In the second game, Kevin Lacy earned his first win of the season in relief, while Shawn Nadeau pitched the seventh inning for his third save. Greene had two hits, two runs scored and an RBI and Chris Mayhew had two hits and an RBI for the Pointers (27-6).
In other games:
• Mike Gibbons scattered four-hits over seven innings with five strikeouts and a walk to pace No. 24 Wheaton to a 4-0 win over Coast Guard Academy in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Mark Behne had two hits for the Bears (11-17, 6-8) and starter Sean Barry allowed just four hits and an earned run with three strikeouts in three innings.
• Elms College rallied from a 3-0 deficit to defeat Mitchell College 5-3 in the New England Collegiate Conference. Gavin LaLima of Waterford had two hits and drove in a run for the Mariners (13-11-1, 7-6).
• Erica Hill pitched a three-hitter and had two hits, leading East Lyme to a 6-1 victory over Woodstock Academy in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division. Kaylie Crosby, Kirsten McGinty and Sarah Bond each had RBI doubles for the Vikings (3-0, 2-0).
• Theresa Kane went 4-for-4 with an RBI as Stonington beat Killingly, 6-1, in its first ECC Medium contest of the season. Mallory Kane went 3-for-4 with an RBI for Stonington (3-1, 1-0).
• Ali Patterson, Gretchen Greene and Olivia Novak had two hits apiece as St. Bernard blanked Tourtellotte, 6-0, in the ECC Small Division. Amy Bouchard pitched a three-hit shutout with eight strikeouts for the Saints (3-1, 2-0).
• Claire Hurley had three hits, including a grand slam, with five RBI and four runs as Waterford downed New London in five innings, 25-0, in the ECC Medium. Sarah Pacheco had three hits, including a triple, with six RBI for the Lancers (1-2, 1-0) and Jodi Weiss had three hits, including a three-run triple. Also, Elaina Sullivan had three RBI. Shaiann Rosado had the only hit for the Whalers (0-4, 0-2).
• Alyssa Mattison pitched a five-hitter as Montville beat Windham 18-0 in an ECC Small Division game. Hannah Meyers tripled and Katrina Awad, Adrienne Foret and Stefanie Szot had doubles for the Indians (4-0, 1-0).
• Winning pitcher Keri Lehtonen struck out seven and Plainfield defeated Ledyard, 3-1. Chloe Hespeler took the loss for the Colonels (3-2), despite pitching a two-hitter.
• Norwich Tech scored six runs in the sixth inning and defeated Cheney Tech, 12-5. Saige Laquitara had three doubles and five RBI for the Warriors (2-3).
• Mitchell was swept by Lesley in a NECC doubleheader, losing the opener 4-0 and the second game 9-4.
Samantha Ryan of Quaker Hill and Brittany Fiederlein had RBI singles in the second game for Mitchell (11-16, 7-5).
• Mitchell fell to Newbury 6-3 in a NECC match. Orson Sinclair won his singles match and teamed with Chris McKeon for a doubles win and Adam Diaz also won his match for Mitchell (6-4, 4-4).
• Nora McDonough had six goals and four assists as Elms scored 21 first-half goals and beat Mitchell, 27-8, in the NECC.
Ashley Murtha had five goals for the Mariners (1-6, 1-3) and Sophie Spiller added three goals.