Local college roundup: Conn's LeDuc wins 1,500 in final home meet
New London - Michael LeDuc of Connecticut College finished his home career by winning the 1,500 meters Saturday at the Silfen College Invitational track and field meet.
LeDuc, the reigning NCAA Division III cross country and 3,000-meter steeplechase champion, won Saturday in 3 minutes, 55.89 seconds.
That time was good enough to qualify for the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) and New England Division III Championships.
Conn finished fourth.
The Conn women won their meet with 134 points, finishing one point in front of Roger Williams.
Anna Laurence, Ariana Beers, and Nicole Adam swept the 10,000 for the Camels and qualified for the New England meet while Bella Franz won the 800, Emily Winter the 5,000 and Sam Pevear the discus.
• Baylor Lapointe and Bryant Moreander each pitched shutouts and UConn-Avery Point extended its winning streak to 10 with a doubleheader sweep of Franklin Pierce's junior varsity, 10-0 and 4-0. Garrett Delotto and Alex Miller hit two-run home runs in the first game, combining for six RBI and Kevin Hall and Rob Sparske homered in the second game for the Pointers (31-6).
• Senior Lukas Laplante went 4-for-5 with his first two career homers as Coast Guard Academy swept Clark 6-5 and 4-1 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Coast Guard (13-18, 8-9) finished one game out of the final NEWMAC tournament spot. Laplante and classmate Dave Wolinski, the only two seniors on the team, became the all-time winningest class (72), eclipsing the senior class from last year (71 wins).
• Mitchell College swept a doubleheader from Elms College in the New England Collegiate Conference, scoring a run in the seventh to win the opener 7-6 and riding the three-hit pitching of Tyler Shamas to capture the second game 3-1. Shamas (6-2) walked three and struck out six for the Mariners (15-11-1, 9-6), who scored all three runs in the fourth, two coming on a base hit by Waterford's Gavin LaLima. In the opener, New London's Nova Crespo went 3-for-4 for Mitchell while Mark Dorsi went 2-for-2 with a two-run double.
• Aaron Sladyk scored a career-high four goals in Mitchell's 11-7 loss to Nichols. Shane Sullivan of Waterford had a goal and two assists for the Mariners (8-5).
• Conn College moved into a tie with Williams for sixth place in the New England Small College Athletic Conference with an 11-8 win over Bates. Tyler Hegarty scored four goals to lead the Camels (9-5, 5-4) while Briggs Barton scored three times and added an assist and Derek Bertolini had two goals and three assists.
• Ashley Murtha scored all nine goals, but Mitchell lost to Sage 21-9. The Mariners are 1-7.
• Cherokee Strickland hit her team-best fourth home run to highlight a seven-run fourth inning, helping Coast Guard split a doubleheader with Smith College in the NEWMAC. Smith won the first game 2-0, eliminating Coast Guard (14-18, 7-11) from the postseason. The Bears won the second game 8-0.
• Randy Coons didn't drop a set in singles and added a doubles victory, leading Mitchell to a 9-0 victory over Wheelock College in the NECC. Coons teamed with freshman Adam Diaz in doubles. Orson Sinclair won his singles match at No. 1 for Mitchell (8-4, 6-4) and combined with Chris McKeon to win No. 2 doubles.
• JC Cangelosi won second singles during Conn's 7-2 loss to Colby in the NESCAC. The Camels are 5-6, 0-5.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES