H.S. tennis roundup: Fitch girls edge East Lyme 4-3
East Lyme — Fitch High School swept the three doubles matches to edge East Lyme, 4-3, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference girls' tennis match on Monday.
The duos of Emma Nelson-Jingy Huang, Isabella Bean-Alana Dumey and Kailey Sullivan-Jillian Leger were all straight-set winners for the Falcons (2-1, 2-1), Bean and Dumey winning a tight match 7-5, 7-6 (2). They also picked up a win from No. 4 singles player Laura Krick.
East Lyme (1-1, 1-1) swept the top three singles matches, earning wins from Sophia Shi, Melinda Li and Katherine Wu.
In other matches:
• Susane Ortizdevillate, Ladylanis Grullon and Tsering Buti all won singles matches and helped New London to its first victory, 5-2, over Windham. New London (1-2) received doubles wins from the teams of Blamely Cepeda- Katlyn Moralas and Francesca Francois -Sally Wang.
• No. 1 singles player Meredith Aird did not lose a game to highlight Old Lyme's 5-2 victory over Morgan in the Shoreline Conference. Meghan Trausch and Marissa Smith also won singles matches for the Wildcats, who also picked up doubles wins from the teams of Hannah-O'Brien-Emily Brault and Nole Brown-Cooper Kotzan.
• Stonington swept the three doubles matches, including a 3-6, 6-1, 7-5 win by the No. 2 team of Claire Morehouse and Mallory McArdle, en route to a 6-1 win over St. Bernard. The teams of Jen Carroll-Morgan Parilla and Chelsea Alfonso-Julie Fabrykiewicz also won for the Bears (2-0) as did singles players Taylor Startz, Gina Felciano and Emily Gardiner. Michaela Abate won at No. 1 singles for the Saints (1-2).
• Three singles players - Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr and Lexi Moger - did not lose a single game as Waterford remained unbeaten with a 7-0 win over Montville. Francisca Secor also won at singles for the Lancers (4-0). Montville is 1-1.
• East Lyme picked up a three-set win from Eric Wu at No. 4 singles and a come-from-behind win by its No. 3 doubles team of Ashish Joshi-Kevin Lei to defeat Fitch, 6-1, in the ECC Large Division. Wu won his match 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 while Joshi and Lei rallied for a 6-7 (2), 6-0, 10-7 win for the Vikings (2-0, 2-0), winning the 10-point tiebreaker rule to decide the match. Ben Biondi and Unni Kurumbail also won singles matches for East Lyme as did the doubles teams of Matt Chan-Nipun Hewage and Mukesh Kurumbail-Sujay Alavala. Jesse Moroyoqui won at No. 1 singles for Fitch (1-2, 1-2).
• Eric Ostaszewski rallied for a 6-7 (8), 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 4 singles as St. Bernard swept the four singles matches to defeat Stonington, 4-3. Nicholas Zuczek, Alexander Zuczek and Chris Renaud also won singles matches for the Saints (1-2) while the Bears (1-1) swept the doubles matches with wins by the teams of Avish Patel-Chris Tsang, John Dong-Ryan Sealy and Thristan Blair-Savey Meach.
• Charlie Dahlkie, Eric Pan and Ethan Fenton all won their singles matches as Old Lyme remained unbeaten with a 5-2 win over Morgan. The doubles teams of Johnny Fairfield-Sonn and Josh Krasney and Rowan Hallahan and Austin Pilgrim also won for the Wildcats (3-0).
• Waterford's Alan Luner, Shashwat Kala and Willie Dong all won their respective singles matches in a 7-0 win over Montville (0-2). The Lancers are 5-0.
• Zach Higgins, Jack Potter, Albert Miller and Brian Healy posted singles wins in Ledyard's 7-0 win over Norwich Free Academy in the ECC Large Division. The Colonels (2-1, 2-1) also picked up doubles wins from Jake Skilbred-Ben McHale, David Allen-Nick Wycoff and Chris West-Bryan Brochu. NFA is 0-3, 0-2.
• Josh Powell, Adam Verhoeff, Jack Shannon and Rudy Harvey all had singles wins as Williams swept Rocky Hill (R.I.), 9-0.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES