- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Stonington — Alex Valdes shot a 45 and Jose Ries a 47 to help lift the Norwich Tech boys' golf team to a 197-208 victory over Grasso Tech in a Constitution State Conference match at Pequot Golf Club on Tuesday.
Grasso's Trevor Hutchinson shot a 39 to earn medalist honors.
In other matches:
• Ledyard beat Fitch 6-1 in the ECC Large Division. Mike Graff and Ledyard and Fitch's Corey Jones shared medalist honors and tied in the No. 1 match with 39s.
Jack Gabriel, Evan DelGrosso and Kevin Simmons also won matches for Ledyard (1-0-1, 1-0-1) and Pat Brown of Ledyard and Luke Teixiera of Fitch (0-1, 0-1) tied in the No. 2 match.
• Ben Reed shot a 43 to earn medalist honors and lead Montville to a 6-1 win over St. Bernard in an ECC Small Division match at Norwich Golf Course. Corey Meigs (47), Bennett Stackhouse (51) and Chris Bouchard (61) also won singles matches for the Indians (2-0, 2-0) while Seamus Fox (52) won his match for the Saints (0-1, 0-1).
• Max Reck shot a 44 to earn medalist honors as Wheeler defeated Windham 7-0 in an ECC Small match at Stonington Country Club. Michael Anderson added a 47 and Peyton Mulhern a 48 for the Lions (1-0, 1-0).
• Killingly beat Stonington 6-1 in the ECC Medium Division match. Jack Ognisty won at No. 4 for Stonington (0-1, 0-1).
H.S. girls' golf
• Woodstock Academy beat East Lyme 206-264. Kyla Henry led East Lyme (0-2) with a 53.
H.S. boys' tennis
• Williams, spurred on by three-set wins by No. 4 singles player Jack Shannon and the No. 2 doubles team of James Burris-Apolline Jonckheere, defeated Hamden Hall 6-0. One match was not completed due to rain. Jon Powell, Josh Powell and Adam Verhoeeff added singles wins for the Blues as did the No. 1 doubles team of Rudy Harvey-Hunt Welch.
H.S. girls' tennis
• Ledyard swept singles play en route to a 6-1 win over NFA in the ECC Large Division. Olivia Lyon, Mandy Wong, Katie Majewski and Paige Vetrano won their matches along with the doubles teams of Gracie Brickner-Meg Brawner and Tess Chandler-Liz Nelson for Ledyard (1-2, 1-2). NFA (0-2, 0-2) got a win from the doubles team of Sam Trahan and Tayla Wilson.
• Avery Point is ranked 14th in the latest NJCAA Region II national poll. The Pointers (31-6) were unranked a week ago and are the only New England school in the top 20.
• Four pitchers combined for a three-hitter as Wesleyan beat Coast Guard 3-0 in a nonleague game. Coast Guard is 13-19.
• Blake Davey hit his team-leading ninth home run of the season as UConn beat Massachusetts 8-5 in a nonleague game. Bobby Melley and Max McDowell drove in two runs each and Davey added three RBI, two hits and three runs for the Huskies (20-19).
• Merchant Marine had a nine-goal lead after one quarter and went on to beat Mitchell College 14-4. Demetre Lyras had two goals, Aaron Sladyk had a goal and an assist and Waterford's Shane Sullivan also scored for Mitchell (8-6).
• Coast Guard won the first three matches, but Roger Williams went on to win, 5-4. Robert Renfrow, Mark Guentert and Weston Fortna won their respective singles matches and Fortna and Guentert also combined for a doubles win for Coast Guard (5-10).