- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Scores updated at the end of each quarter. Winner
New London - Axel DeJesus and Troy Stango combined on a five-hitter Wednesday, leading the Mitchell College baseball team to an 8-2 victory over Coast Guard Academy.
Marc Dorsi hit a two-run double during a three-run rally in the second inning for the Mariners (16-11-1) who snapped a 1-1 tie. Blake Iannetti added an RBI single. Stango (3-0) pitched six innings in relief to earn the win.
Coast Guard is 13-20.
In other games:
• UConn scored four runs in the eighth inning to beat Quinnipiac, 5-3. Freshman Andrew Zapata earned the win, allowing two hits with five strikeouts and a walk in a career-high 7.1 innings. while Bryan Daniello had two hits, including a two-run single that handed the Huskies (21-19) the lead in the eighth.
David Mahoney, a Bacon Academy graduate, retired the side in order in the ninth to pick up his fifth save.
• No. 5 Coast Guard advanced to the semifinals of the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference tournament with a 5-3 win over No. 4 Wheaton. Mark Guentert and Weston Fortna won their matches and teamed up for a doubles win for the Bears (6-10), who play at No. 1 MIT Saturday. Robert Renfrow also won in singles and Alex Mead and Renfrow won a doubles match for Coast Guard, which lost to Wheaton 6-3 in the regular season.
• Meag Irvine scored what proved to be the deciding goal with 7:23 remaining, lifting Conn College past Wesleyan University in the regular season finale between two New England Small College Athletic Conference programs. Senior Lowell Abbott had two goals and an assist and freshman Hannah Donegan had three goals and two assists for the Camels (5-10, 1-9). Sophomore goalie Lauren Munhall made four saves for her first win.
• Ashley Murtha scored four goals while Veyda McVey and Sophie Spiller each added one in Mitchell College's 23-6 loss to Becker College in the New England Collegiate Conference. The Mariners fell to 2-8, 1-3.
• Briggs Barton had four goals while Tyler Hegarty had two and Derek Bertolini added a goal and two assists in Connecticut College's 16-7 loss to Wesleyan University in the NESCAC. The two teams meet again on Saturday in the NESCAC tournament quarterfinals. The Camels are 9-6, 5-5.
• David Klapp scored four goals in Mitchell College's 14-7 loss at Salve Regina in Newport. Demetras Lyras and Jordan Cook each had a goal and an assist and Dan DiGioia also scored for the Mariners (8-7).
• Alyssa Hancock of Waterford had six hits and four RBI in Eastern Connecticut State University's doubleheader sweep of Coast Guard Academy. The Warriors (23-11) won 6-5 and 12-1 in five innings. Summer Cipriani, a Wheeler graduate, earned the win in relief in game one. Erin Lisko had three hits and an RBI and Kaitlin Ward added four hits in the two games for the Bears (14-20).
Sun sign Smith
• The Connecticut Sun signed 6-foot-1 free agent guard Shenneika Smith to a training camp contract on Wednesday.
The New York Liberty selected Smith 25th overall (third round) in last year's WNBA Draft. She was waived after averaging 7.6 points in three preseason games.
Smith is averaging 9.5 points and 5.7 rebounds for Lombos Quinta of Portugal.