H.S. tennis roundup: Waterford girls edge Stonington 4-3
Stonington - Waterford won three of the four singles matches and went on to beat defending Class S champion Stonington 4-3 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division girls' tennis match Friday.
Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr and Lexi Moger had straight set wins and the doubles team of Jessica Hudson and Katie Lewis beat Stonington's Morgan Parrilla and Jen Carroll 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 for the final point for Waterford (4-0, 3-0).
Emily Gardiner won her match along with the doubles teams of Mallory McArdle-Claire Morehouse and Chelsea Alfonso-Julie Fabrykiewicz for Stonington (5-1, 2-1).
In other matches:
• St. Bernard remained unbeaten in the ECC Small Division with a 7-0 victory over Montville.
The Saints (2-2, 2-0) picked up singles wins from Michaela Abate, Kat McKinley, Wendy Bessette and Maddie Mahoney along with the doubles teams of Alexa Massad-Brittany Walenta, Anna McKinley-Katherine Matthews and Jessica Xu-Andre He.
Montville is 1-3, 1-1.
• Lillian James won her No. 1 singles match and the doubles duo Katlyn Morales and Blannely Cepeda also posted a win in New London's 5-2 loss to Bacon Academy in the ECC Medium. The Whalers are 1-4, 0-4.
• Meredith Aird, Meghan Trausch and Mikayla Bellaria won in singles and Old Lyme defeated Cromwell, 7-0. Hannah O'Brien and Emily Brault and Lauren Romano and Holly Fiscus won in doubles for the Wildcats, who won No. 4 singles by forfeit.
• Olivia Lyon and Mandy Wong posted singles wins in Ledyard's 5-2 loss to Woodstock in the ECC Large. The Colonels are 2-3, 1-3.
• Sophia Shi, Melinda Li, Katherine Wu and Lisa Gao led East Lyme to a singles sweep in a 7-0 shutout of Norwich Free Academy in the ECC Large. The Vikings are 3-1, 2-0, and the Wildcats 0-3, 0-3.
• Alan Luner, Willie Dong, Benny Dong and Adam Howard won in singles and Waterford defeated Stonington, 7-0, in the ECC Medium Division. Shashwat Kala and Samson Herbert, Matthew Hausmann and Mike Castelpoggi and Evan Birdsall and Hugh Sokolski won in doubles for the Lancers (7-0, 3-0). Stonington is 1-2, 1-1.
• East Lyme stayed unbeaten with a 7-0 win over NFA in the ECC Large Division. Nick Hotary, Ben Biondi, Eric Wu and Kevin Lei won their matches for the Vikings (4-0, 3-0) also with the doubles teams of Nipun Hewag-Matt Chen, Sujay Alavala-Mukesh Kurumbail and Ashish Joshi-Matei Cioculescu.
• William Baldwin won No. 3 singles in Fitch's 4-3 loss to Newington. Matt Pastor also won in singles for the Falcons (3-3).
• Albert Miller won at No. 3 singles for Ledyard's only point in a 6-1 loss to Woodstock in the ECC Large. The Colonels fell to 3-2, 2-2.
• Brendan White, Charlie Dahlkie, Rowan Hallahan, Johnny Fairfield-Sohn and Jason Feng won their singles matches in Old Lyme's 7-0 win over Cromwell in the Shoreline Conference.
The doubles duos of Luke Grabowski and Austin Pilgrim and Eric Pan and Ethan Fenton also won for the Wildcats (5-0, 5-0).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES