- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Holyoke, Mass. - Matt Greene of New London had three hits and four RBI and Nick Perrelli had three hits and two RBI, powering UConn-Avery Point past Holyoke Community College, 12-7, in a college baseball game on Friday.
Andrew Hinckley had two hits and three RBI while Diondry Sapp had three hits and Chris Mayhew added two for the Pointers (33-6), who host rival CCRI in a noon doubleheader today at Washington Park in Groton.
In other games:
• Freshman Brendan McNeil hit his first collegiate home run for Coast Guard Academy in a non-conference doubleheader loss to Gordon College, 8-4 and 5-4.
Kyle Jackson had a hit and RBI in game one and added two hits and two runs scored in game two for the Bears (13-22).
• UConn dropped its series opener at No. 12 Louisville, 2-0, in the American Athletic Conference. Anthony Marzi took the loss and Bobby Melley reached base three times for the Huskies (21-20, 5-7), who managed just six hits.
• Melissa Castillo had two hits, including a double, with two runs and two RBI as Norwich Free Academy edged Bacon Academy, 7-6, to win its first Eastern Connecticut Conference Large game of the season. Emily DeVito went 3-for-4, including a double, and scored twice for NFA (5-3, 1-2). Also, Beth Fleming went 3-for-3 with two RBI.
• Megan Cole hit a two-run single during Old Lyme's 16-4 loss to Valley Regional in the Shoreline Conference. Bella Cohen had three hits and Kaylin Riggs two hits for the Wildcats.
• Raven Houck had three hits and four runs scored as Wheeler defeated Westbrook, 13-3. Jenn Paride had a triple and four RBI for the Lions (4-1) and Kylie Baker had two hits and two RBI.
• New London lost to Lyman Memorial, 21-6. Joeanna Gomez and Riley Barnes had three hits each, Tiffany McPhearson had two hits and Gomez scored twice for New London (0-7).
• Abbey Prager had four hits, including a pair of home runs, and seven RBI in Norwich Tech's 30-14 win over Windham Tech. Kerrie Bellerose had three hits and four RBI and Kianna Dailey added two hits and three RBI for the Warriors (4-3).
H.S. boys' golf
• Stonington's Sam Ognisty took medalist honors with a 4-over-par 39 as the Bears beat Waterford 6.5-.5 in an ECC Medium Division match. Joel Nelson, Jack Ognisty and Will Cavaliere also won their matches for Stonington (4-1, 1-1). Waterford is 3-1, 2-1.
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Northwest Catholic beat Ledyard 13-12 in a nonleague game Thursday. Nick LoBianco had four goals and three assists and Jake Christensen (three assists), Nick Lauer and Nick Schultz had two goals each for Ledyard (4-2).
• Brett Coss had 10 aces as NFA defeated Hartford Classical, 25-13, 25-19, 18-25, 25-23. Andrew Stone had 20 assists and Matt Tirocchi had 11 kills for NFA (1-3).
College water polo
• Connecticut College lost to Indiana University, 19-1, in the opening game of the 2014 Collegiate Water Polo Association Championship at Bucknell (Pa.) University.
Nicky Jasbon had the only goal for the Camels (15-8), who fell into the consolation bracket.