H.S. baseball roundup: Saints beat No. 1 Waterford 2-1
Norwich — Willie Rios pitched a complete game three-hitter and struck out 17, leading St. Bernard to a 2-1 upset of Waterford, the No. 1 ranked high school baseball team in the state, on Monday night at Dodd Stadium.
His 17th strikeout came with the tying and go-ahead run on second and third and two outs in the top of the seventh.
Rios also had three of St. Bernard's four hits. The Saints (8-2) scored two runs in the fourth inning. Rios singled, stole second and scored on a fielding error. Aaron Michaud scored on an error to give St. Bernard a 2-0 lead.
Waterford (7-1) scored its only run in the fifth inning on a wild pitch.
In other games:
• Ryan Glass' sacrifice fly scored Jimmy Kitner with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning as Fitch edged East Lyme, 1-0, handing the Vikings their first Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division loss. Kitner doubled to lead off the inning for the Falcons (4-5, 3-1). Ian Cekala pitched three innings of relief to earn the win, allowing just two hits and two walks.
Starter Dan Mewha scattered five hits over five innings with two strikeouts. Will Butler gave up just three hits over seven innings with two strikeouts for the Vikings (5-4, 3-1) and Austin Toback doubled.
• Jeremy Santos scored from third base on a wild pitch with two outs in the first inning and Josh Vincent pitched a five-hitter with 15 strikeouts as New London edged Windham, 1-0.
Jason Edwards had two hits for the Whalers (2-6).
• Evan August hit a solo home run and Ledyard rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat Norwich Free Academy, 3-2, in the ECC Large Division. The Colonels (6-2, 3-1) took a 3-2 lead with two runs in the bottom of the sixth and Fredrick France pitched a perfect seventh inning in relief o Kyle Haney to earn the save. Haney allowed five hits and no earned runs over six innings. Andy Grant went 2-for-3 and drove in a run for the Wildcats (4-5, 1-3).
• Chad Mooney allowed just one hit over six innings with 10 strikeouts and one walk as Montville downed Tourtellotte, 10-0. Jordan Zeppieri had three doubles and two runs for Montville (8-0) and Buddy Dewaine and Stan Kesilewski both scored twice. The Tigers are 2-6.
• Steve Sieczkowski scored on a throwing error with one out in the bottom of the seventh to give Norwich Tech a 3-2 win over Prince Tech in the Constitution State Conference East Division. Nick Smith singled and scored for the Warriors (6-4, 5-1) and Doug Babbitt allowed just two hits in 2 2/3 innings of relief with no runs to earn the win in relief. Cal Senesac added two hits.
• Garret Griffin had five hits, four RBI and two runs as unbeaten Plainfield downed Wheeler, 23-0. Ryan Pambuku five hits, four runs, and two RBI for the Panthers (8-0). Kevin Knowles had two hits for the Lions (2-5).
• Coginchaug rode a five-run third inning to an 8-3 win over Old Lyme in the Shoreline Conference. Trent Garbati doubled and drove in a run for the Wildcats (4-5, 4-5) while Dave Peck and Cooper St. Germain each had a hit and scored a run.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES