- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
North Stonington - Jenn Paride threw her second no-hitter of the season as Wheeler beat Montville 5-0 Saturday in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division softball game.
Paride (5-2) struck out five with one walk. Montville (7-3, 3-1) didn't have a runner reach second base. Paride no-hit Tourtellotte on April 22.
Raven Houck was 3-for-3 with a triple, scored a run and drove in a run and Micaela Bergel singled, doubled and scored a run for Wheeler (5-2, 2-0).
In other games:
•Unbeaten Fitch scored four runs in the top of the first and cruised to a 9-1 victory over Waterford. Caroline Taber pitched a three-hitter for the Falcons (8-0), striking out 12. Taber and Jackie Lewis had two hits apiece for Fitch while Elaina Sullivan had two hits for the Lancers (5-4), including an RBI single in the first inning for her 100th career hit.
• Winning pitcher Chloe Hespeler doubled twice and drove in three runs as Ledyard beat Stonington 5-1. Nikki McComiskey was 2-for-3 and Hespeler struck out three with one walk for Ledyard (3-7). Theresa Kane was 3-for-4, struck out eight and walked one for Stonington (8-2).
• Jordan Kowalski, Andrew Byrd and Trevor Bolduc drove in runs with hits during a three-run sixth inning that rallied Ledyard past St. Bernard, 3-2. Kowalski was 2-for-3 with a double for the Colonels (8-2) to help back the two-hit pitching of Evan August, who also struck out eight. Ian Li pitched well for the Saints (8-4), walking two and striking out seven.
• Ledyard exploded for seven runs in the fourth inning and cruised to a 14-8 win over Stonington on Friday night. Kowalski was 2-for-4 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored for the Colonels and Luke Saccone was 3-for-4. Ryan Francis had two hits, including a double, with an RBI for the Bears (1-8).
• Will Trask went 3-for-4 and drove in three runs, leading NFA to a 10-5 win over Valley Regional in a nonleague game. Brandon Deveny and Brandon Russo had two hits each and Cameron Milton had a run-scoring double for NFA (6-5).
• Alec Powell had six goals and three assists to lead Ledyard past Old Saybrook, 15-5, in a nonleague game. Nick Lauer added three goals and three assists for the Colonels (6-2) while Nick LoBianco had three goals and two assists and Jake Christensen two goals and two assists.
• Goalie Tim Drake made two big saves in the final minute as Fitch held on for an 11-10 victory over South Kingstown, R.I. Drake finished with 14 saves for the Falcons (3-5), who were led offensively by Grayson Rueling (five goals), Jordan McKenna (three), Ryan Rueling (two) and Andrew Singer (one goal, two assists).
• Ben Ferrucci scored six goals as Valley Regional defeated Waterford, 14-4. Spencer Sgandurra had one goal and one assist for the Lancers (3-7) and Taylor Huta made 12 saves.
• Alley Lorah's goal with 7:43 left in the second half gave East Lyme a 7-4 lead and the Vikings held on to beat Guilford 7-6 in a nonleague game. Gabby Fiengo scored twice, Caroline Gonsalves had a goal and two assists, Belle Kenny had a goal and an assist and Alex Rose made 14 saves for East Lyme (7-3).
• Hannah Long scored six goals as NFA held off Wheeler, 13-11. Kamryn Grace added two goals for the Wildcats (3-5), who led 10-4 at halftime. Jess Muller had seven goals and two assists for Wheeler (0-7) while Zoe Robert added a pair of goals and goalie Carolyn Pabst made 22 saves.
• Tyler Latham of Fitch won a pair of events and Jared Stanland of Old Lyme won the discus at the Middletown Invitational. Latham won the 300 hurdles (39.70) and javelin (206-10) and was second in the 100 hurdles at 14.84. Stanlandwon with a throw of 155-6. Brian Robinson of Fitch was seventh in the discus.
• Sydnee Spruill of Fitch won the high jump at the Middletown Invitational by clearing 5-2.