Local Roundup: UConn routs Memphis in baseball
Memphis, Tenn. - The UConn baseball team scored 13 runs in the first three innings and went on to beat Memphis 13-2 in an American Athletic Conference game Sunday afternoon.
The game was called on a mercy rule after seven innings. Max McDowell led UConn's 14-hit attack, going 4-for-5 with five RBI. Jack Sundberg and Tom Verdi scored three runs each and Bobby Melley and Vinny Siena had three RBI each for UConn (23-24, 7-10).
Starter Anthony Kay (4-4) was the winner, allowing eight hits and two runs over six innings.
• Keith Rocco captured the 35-lap SK Modified feature Saturday night, winning a battle with Tim Jordan over the final 15 laps. Rocco took the lead with a power move to Jordan's inside on lap-32. Kyle James joined the battle over the final seven laps and finished third. Craig Lutz finished fourth and Diego Monahan of Quaker Hill was fifth.
Ken Cassidy of Lisbon took the lead on lap-18 in an exciting 25-lap Mini Stock feature and went on to win. Garrett Denton finished second, Wayne Burroughs Jr. of Oakdale was third, Dave Trudeau finished fourth and Chris Ivory of Oakdale was fifth.
H.S. girls' track
• Maddy Campbell of Montville won the triple jump at the Marty Roberts Invitational in Durham Saturday, with a winning jump of 33-4 1-2. Montville finished third as Nadia Dallas had a pair of second-place finishes (100, 13.26; long jump, 15-2 3-4) and Kiah Strickland had a second (javelin, 110-5) and a third (100 hurdles, 16.44). Montville also got third-place finishes from Caitlin Turney (300 hurdles, 49.78) and Hannah Marchini (800, 2:28) and its 4x400 relay team of Abby McAdams, Marchini, Abby Baukus and Turney (4:21).
• Chenoa Sebastian of Ledyard won the 100 hurdles Saturday at the Middletown Invitational. Sebastian's winning time was 14.82.
H.S. boys' track
• Chase Lewis of Montville and James Rose of St. Bernard had second-place finishes at the Marty Roberts Invitational in Durham Saturday. Lewis was second in the pole vault (12-0) and Rose was second in the 1600 (4:45). Montville, which finished fifth, got third-place finishes from Dan Linkenhoker (1600, 4:48), Kevin Fitzgerald (3200, 10:54), Tom Podeszwa (high jump, 5-8) and its 4x400 relay team of Linkenhoker, Neil Schneeberg, Tyler Quidgeon and Justin Longton (3:42).
• Joseph Carter of Ledyard finished fourth in the long jump Saturday at the Middletown Invitational. Carter, who jumped 21-0, was also sixth in the 400 (51.49).
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Hand broke open a close game with eight goals in the fourth quarter and beat East Lyme 11-3 in a nonleague game Saturday night. Hand (3-6) led 3-2 after three quarters. Nic Page, Kyle Bernard and Mark Wojcik scored for East Lyme (7-2).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES