- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Stonington - Eddie Santiago had a single, double and home run to power New London past Stonington 5-1 Monday in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division high school baseball game.
New London scored two runs in the first and one in the second to jump out to a 3-0 lead. Santiago finished with two RBI and scored two runs. Josh Vincent earned the win for the Whalers (3-7, 1-3).
Ryan Francis doubled for one of Stonington's three hits overall. The Bears fell to 1-9, 0-3.
In other games:
• Connor Lewis and Tom Pezzolesi each drove in two runs during a five-run fourth inning as Waterford downed Killingly 7-1 in the ECC Medium. Colin Harrington pitched the win for the Lancers (10-1, 4-0), ranked No. 1 in the New Haven Register Top 10 poll.
• Marianapolis Prep swept a doubleheader from Williams, 4-3 and 7-0, with each game lasting five innings. Sotiraq Vangjeli hit a two-run double for the Blues in the first game to give them a 2-0 lead and Ben Lahm pitched a complete game.
• John Wheatley had a single, double and two RBI in St. Thomas More's 12-4 loss to Block Island in a game shortened to five innings. Hiro Senuma had a double and two RBI for the Chancellors, who committed eight errors and had four hits.
• Ross Golebiewski had a single and scored a run and Dan Chapman added a single and RBI in Old Lyme's 4-1 loss to Morgan in the Shoreline Conference.
• Kamryn Grace and Sam Trombley scored four goals apiece and Norwich Free Academy snapped a 4-4 tie at halftime to defeat Montville 14-5. Hannah Long added two goals and an assist for the Wildcats (4-5). Katherine Namin scored three times for Montville (3-6).
• Sam Seymour had four goals and an assist as Bacon Academy edged Ledyard 10-9. Liz Austin had four goals and two assists for Ledyard (5-4) and Ellie Phetteplace added three goals and an assist.
• Emily Cassata had four goals and an assist to power Stonington past Woodstock, 20-2. Hannah Johnson, Elizabeth Morrison and Valerie Muller each scored three goals for the Bears (10-0).
• Xavier Mills finished with four goals and an assist in the Williams School's 11-6 loss to Hamden Hall. Eight-grader Alex Medeiros made 18 saves in goal for the Blues, while Jack Fader added a goal and two assists and Andrew Bronk also scored.
• Henry Hunt had two goals and four assists as Old Lyme defeated Old Saybrook 9-4. Jacob Fenton and Ian Humphreys had two goals apiece for Old Lyme (6-2).
• Medalist Shane Fiala shot 40 leading Hale-Ray to a 190-208 win over Old Lyme in a Shoreline Conference match at Fox Hopyard. Jake Tiffany shot 47 for Old Lyme (2-1, 2-1).
• Medalist Connor Callaghan shot a 2-over 37 and East Lyme defeated Woodstock Academy 6-1 in an ECC Large Division match at Old Lyme Country Club. East Lyme is 6-0-1, 2-0-1.
• Medalist Sam Ognisty shot a 38 and Stonington defeated Ledyard 5-2 at Pequot Golf Course. The Bears are 6-2. Mike Graff shot 39 for Ledyard (2-2-1).
• Alex Valdes (42) earned medalist honors as Norwich Tech beat Ellis Tech 196-214 in the Constitution State Conference. Joe Bacon and Josh Ries each shot 49 for Norwich Tech (9-1).
• Medalist Gabby Martin shot 41 and Hand defeated NFA 201-219 at Mohegan Sun Country Club at Pautipaug. Katie Strickland led NFA with a 48.
• Andrew Stone had 10 assists in NFA's 16-25, 13-25, 13-25 loss to Farmington. Matthew Belmont had five kills for NFA (1-8).