H.S. softball roundup: Wheeler edges St. Bernard, 1-0, in nine innings
North Stonington — Kylie Baker singled with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, scoring courtesy runner Emma Stock, as the Wheeler High School softball team beat St. Bernard on Wednesday 1-0 to take sole possession of first place in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division.
Jenn Paride pitched a three-hitter with 13 strikeouts and singled with two outs in the ninth for Wheeler (7-2, 4-0). Baker added two hits and Micaela Bergel singled.
"They've been great," Wheeler coach Joe Cawley said of his team, which hasn't allowed one run in division play. "Jenn Paride has really stepped in and filled the hole left by Summer (Cipriani, now at Eastern Connecticut State University). We've been able to pull out some of these close ones that we lost before.
"... Up to this point, aside from state tournament games, this is the biggest one we've been a part of."
Amy Bouchard pitched a six-hitter with five strikeouts for St. Bernard (8-5, 4-1) and Amanda Carpentier and Sophie Nelson both singled.
In other games:
• Shae Crosby singled home Megan Lanier in the top of the seventh inning, breaking a 5-5 tie and leading East Lyme to a 6-5 win over NFA in the ECC Large Division. NFA (9-4, 3-3) led 2-0 after five innings and East Lyme (10-2, 5-1) scored five runs in the top of the sixth inning to take a 5-2 lead. Brittany Majcher's three-run homer in the bottom of the sixth pulled NFA even at 5-5.
Sarah Bond and Hannah Burke doubled in the sixth for East Lyme and Burke, Crosby, Samantha Horner and Morgan Lloyd drove in runs. Meghan Welch earned the win in relief. Emily DeVito hit a two-run homer for NFA in the third inning.
• Chloe Hespeler pitched a one-hitter as Ledyard beat Woodstock 7-0 in the ECC Large Division. Hespeler (5-7) struck out one with one walk. Fran Francischelli was 3-for-3 with two runs scored, Briana Bisson (three RBI) and Rebecca Schmahl had two hits each and Haley Wilt drove in two runs for Ledyard (5-8, 2-4).
• Caitlin Perkins went 3-for-4 with two runs and three stolen bases as Montville beat Tourtellotte 6-1 in the ECC Small. Stephanie Szot had two hits, two RBI and scored for the Indians (8-4, 4-2) and Katie Banta doubled and scored.
• Caroline Taber pitched a three-hitter with nine strikeouts and went 3-for-4 as Fitch downed Bacon Academy 11-0 in the ECC Large. Jo Hobert had a home run and three RBI for the Falcons (11-0, 5-0) and Jayden Delaporta went 3-for-4 with a RBI.
• Madison Bodley pitched a complete game and added three hits and four RBI as Norwich Tech beat Vinal Tech 13-9. Casey Gervais had three hits and two RBI for Norwich Tech (7-4).
• Riley Barnes doubled and Christina Corbeil had an RBI single for New London in a 17-2 loss to Plainfield in the ECC Medium Division, a game shortened to six innings due to the mercy rule. Bryanna Parkes and Emily Corbeil also had hits for New London (0-11, 0-5).
• Old Lyme lost to North Branford 20-4 in the Shoreline Conference on Tuesday. Kyra Teixeira tripled twice and drove in two runs and Ali Scott was 3-for-3 for Old Lyme.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES