H.S. softball: No. 10 Fitch moves to 12-0 behind Taber, Woods
Norwich - Caroline Taber had two hits, an RBI and pitched a seven-hitter with eight strikeouts and two walks in Fitch High School's 8-2 victory Friday over Norwich Free Academy in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division softball matchup.
Fitch, ranked 10th in the state in the New Haven Register poll, remained unbeaten at 12-0 overall, 6-0 in the Large Division. Cassie Woods had three hits, an RBI and two runs scored for Fitch and Jo Hobert and Katherine Georgetti also had two hits each.
NFA's Emily DeVito hit a solo home run in the seventh inning for her fifth home run in the last four games. Shaina Beatrice added two hits and a run scored for the Wildcats (10-5, 3-4).
In other games:
• Jess Morgan scored with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning when the throw to the plate hit her as Wheeler edged Lyman Memorial 1-0 to remain unbeaten in the ECC Small. Jenn Paride pitched a three-hitter with 17 strikeouts and no walks for the Lions (8-2, 5-0). Also, Raven Houck went 3-for-4, including a double and triple.
• Briana Bisson had the game-winning single with the bases loaded in the bottom of the eighth inning for Ledyard, as the Colonels edged Bacon Academy 9-8 in the ECC Large Division. Fran Francischelli was 4-for-5 with a home run, two RBI and a run scored for Ledyard (6-8, 3-4), Rebecca Schmahl had a double and two RBI and Bisson had two hits. Shelby Tallman was 5-for-5 with a grand slam for Bacon.
• Stephanie Szot went 4-for-4, including a triple and home run, with five RBI and four runs as Montville defeated Windham 21-6 in a five-inning ECC Small game. Katie Banta went 3-for-3, including a double and triple, with four RBI and two runs for the Indians (9-4, 5-2) and Katrina Awad went 3-for-4 with three runs and two RBI. Also, Caitlin Perkins went 3-for-4 and scored five times.
• Kaylie Crosby was 4-for-4 with four runs scored and two RBI and Kirsten McGinty had three hits, including a home run and four RBI, as East Lyme pounded out 18 hits in an 18-1 victory over Woodstock Academy in an ECC Large Division game shortened to five innings. Winning pitcher Meghan Welch (6-2) gave up four hits, striking out five for the Vikings (11-2, 6-1).
• Waterford scored 10 runs in the first inning on six walks, four hits and three errors and Elaina Sullivan pitched five innings for her first career victory as the Lancers topped New London 12-1 in the ECC Medium Division. Claire Hurley and Sarah Pacheco each had two hits for Waterford (9-4, 6-1) and Sullivan struck out seven. Emily Corbeil doubled for New London (0-12, 0-6).
• Kyra Teixeira hit a fourth-inning grand slam and finished 3-for-3 in Old Lyme's 18-12 loss to Westbrook. Kaylin Riggs also homered for the Wildcats and was 2-for-3.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES