H.S. roundup: Winiarz, Li combine for no-hitter as St. Bernard baseball tops Tourtellotte
Montville - Cam Winiarz and Ian Li combined to pitch a no-hitter with 11 strikeouts as the St. Bernard School baseball team beat Tourtellotte 12-0 Friday in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division game.
Willie Rios had two hits, including a triple, with two runs and two RBI for the Saints (10-4, 5-2) and Aaron Michaud had a single, two runs and two RBI. Also, Matt Thomas had his first varsity hit and an RBI.
In other games:
• John Wheatley had a double and an RBI for St. Thomas More in its 14-2 loss to Marianapolis Prep in an SENE game. Mauricio Chavez had a sacrifice fly for T-More (0-9, 0-5) and Guy Shapiro went 2-for-2, including a double.
• Grayson and Ryan Rueling each had four goals as Fitch beat Montville 18-2. Robert Watts had three goals for the Falcons (6-5) and Andrew Singer added two goals. Emanuel Diaz and Patrick Caron scored for Montville (0-10).
• Xavier Mills had five goals and four assists and Jack Fader added four goals and five assists as Williams edged Hyde of Woodstock 18-16. Porter Girty had five goals and an assist for Williams and Jack Hall added four goals and two assists.
• Michelina Pinto had six goals and two assists as Fitch beat Montville 9-4. Daria McKenna had two goals and two assists for the Falcons (5-5-1) and Bailey Mahler added two goals and an assist. Also, Avery Fiftal and Vineela Kanagala scored twice. Katherine Namin had four goals and two assists, Gabby Iaconiello had three goals and Rachel Marchini scored twice for Montville (3-7).
• Lily Goldberg and Maddy Lahm each had four goals and an assist to pace Williams to its 10-7 win over Providence County Day. Britta Widham had a goal and an assist for Williams and Bea Mills scored. Margit Burgess added an assist.
• John McLaughlin shot for par (36) to win medalist honors as Coginchaug (191) beat both Old Lyme (199) and East Hampton (207) in a Shoreline Conference match. Old Lyme's Graham Aird was the individual runner-up (44) and Jake Tiffany shot a 49.
• Tyler Scheiblich shot a 40 to earn medalist honors as Bacon Academy beat New London 7-0 in the ECC Medium. Jordan Rogers shot a 50 for New London (0-8, 0-7).
• Norwich Free Academy's Katie Strickland earned medalist honors (44), however Woodstock Academy won the match 215-217. Kim Postler shot a 54 for NFA (5-4).
• Andrew Stone had 20 assists and seven aces in Norwich Free Academy's 25-14, 25-21, 27-25 victory over Hartford Classical. Richard Joseph added 10 blocks and 12 kills and Matthew Pirrocchi seven aces and nine kills for NFA (2-9).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES