- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich - St. Bernard School pitcher Willie Rios struck out 19 batters in eight innings, but the Lyman Memorial baseball team scored a run in the top of the ninth inning Thursday and held on to win the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division game 1-0 at Dodd Stadium.
Rios allowed three hits and also doubled for the Saints (10-6, 5-4).
In other games:
• Andy Grant pitched a complete-game two-hitter with nine strikeouts and Norwich Free Academy defeated Ledyard 6-0 in the ECC Large Division. Caleb Bierman and Brandin Strickland had two hits apiece for NFA (9-8, 4-5). Ledyard is 11-4, 6-3.
• Kevin Knowles went 2-for-4 with a double and three runs scored in Wheeler's 7-4 loss to Griswold in the ECC Small Division. Matt Grimett had two hits and an RBI for Wheeler (4-9, 2-6).
• Damon LaFrance had three hits and Beckett Scannelli drove in three runs as New London beat Stonington 13-2 in an ECC Medium Division game. Bryan Cespedes, Troy Gray, Eddie Santiago and Scannelli had two hits each for New London (6-10, 3-6). Josh Vincent (3-3) was the winner, allowing five hits over six innings with seven strikeouts and two walks. Shane Foster doubled and singled twice for Stonington (2-14, 1-8).
• Jack Livingston pitched a three-hitter as East Lyme beat Fitch 1-0 in an ECC Large Division game. Dean Beebe singled home Connor Elliott with two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning with the game's only run. Mike Morgan had two hits for East Lyme (9-7, 5-4). Pieter Khoury pitched a six-hitter for Fitch (7-9, 5-4).
• Parish Hill led 9-0 after two innings and went on to beat Grasso Tech 22-6 in a CSC game. Ashley Cambisaca, Tabitha Ford and Clara Pratts had two hits each for Grasso, Ford drove in two runs and Cambisaca and Pratts scored two runs each.
• Shelby Grauer had three hits and drove in three runs as Holy Family beat Norwich Tech 23-4 in the CSC. Abbey Pater had two hits and drove in two runs for Norwich Tech.
• Winning pitcher Kazi Walker combined with Tori VanCleave for five strikeouts and Waterford defeated Bacon Academy 9-1 in the ECC Medium Division. Sarah Pacheco had three hits and two RBI for Waterford (11-5, 8-2).
• Caroline Taber pitched a four-hitter as Fitch remained unbeaten with a 7-0 win over Stonington. Taber struck out seven with two walks. Cassie Woods and Jo Hobert had two hits each and Jackie Lewis scored twice for Fitch (16-0). Stonington is 11-5.
• Wheeler beat Windham 7-0 in the ECC Small Division. Jake Umphlett was the medalist with a 48 for Wheeler (5-6, 4-4) and teammate Tyler Primett shot a 49.
• Ledyard beat Fitch 5-2 in an ECC Large Division match at Shennecossett Golf Course. Justin Carter, Kevin Simmonds and Evan DelGrosso won their matches for Ledyard (3-4-1, 3-3-1). Corey Jones of Fitch was the medalist with a 4-over-par 40 and teammate Luke Teixeira also won. Fitch (4-8, 0-6) lost to Woodstock 6-1 Wednesday as Teixeira won his match.
• Killingly wrapped up at least a share of the ECC Medium Division title with a 6-1 win over Stonington at Connecticut National. Jack Ognisty won his match for Stonington (10-3, 5-2). Drew Aitken of Killingly (13-0, 8-0) was the medalist with a 1-over-par 36.
• Grasso Tech won a pair of CSC matches, beating Windham Tech 185-208 and Prince Tech (274) at Goodwin Park Golf Course. Trevor Hutchinson of Grasso Tech was the medalist with a 34 and Justin Van Dyke shot a 44 for Grasso.
• Waterford beat New London 7-0 in an ECC Medium Division match at Great Neck Country Club. Matt Shea was the medalist with a 4-over-par 39 and Mitch Mirabito, Brett Collins, Stephen Lavoie and Nico Bartelli also won matches for Waterford (8-4, 5-3). New London is 0-10, 0-8.
• Montville's Bennett Stackpole was the medalist as the Indians beat St. Bernard 7-0 in an ECC Small Division match at Norwich Golf Course. Stackpole shot a 42 and Ben Reed, Corey Meigs, Ryan Turney and Chris Bouchard also won their matches for Montville (9-6, 7-1).