H.S. tennis roundup: Waterford boys clinch ECC Medium
Waterford - Alan Luner, Shashwat Kala and Benny and Willie Dong won singles matches as the Waterford High School boys' tennis team swept Killingly 7-0 Monday to clinch the Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division title.
Waterford is 14-1, 7-0.
The doubles teams of Adam Howard-Matt Hausmann, Evan Burdsall-Hugh Sokolski and Mike Castelpoggi-Neel Shah also won for the Lancers, who successfully defended their division title.
In other matches:
• St. Bernard swept the three doubles matches to defeat Windham 5-2 in the ECC Small Division. The Saints (9-6, 6-1) remained tied for the division lead with Lyman Memorial with one match remaining (Wednesday vs. Griswold). The doubles teams of Chris Renaud-Zack Kuvalanka, David Abraham-Jack Nassetta and Patrick Mahoney-Allen Zheng won along with singles players Alexander Zuczek and Eric Ostacsewski.
• Seniors Johnny Fairfield-Sonn and Josh Krasney, Old Lyme's top doubles team, both played singles on Senior Day and won their respective matches in a 4-3 win over Morgan in the Shoreline Conference. Ethan Fenton and Austin Pilgrim won doubles for the Wildcats (16-1), as did Eric Pan and Jason Feng.
• Ashish Joshi beat Rico Wang 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 in the No. 4 singles match as unbeaten East Lyme topped Woodstock Academy 7-0 in the ECC Large. Ben Biondi, Nick Hotary and Eric Wu also won for the Vikings (13-0, 8-0).
• Avery Oefinger, Alan Carroll and Mitchell Edwards won singles matches to help Stonington defeat Bacon Academy 6-1 in the ECC Medium Division. The Bears (8-5, 5-2) also picked up doubles wins from Avish Patel-Chris Tsang, Ryan Sealy-John Dong and Tristan Blair-Jonathan Armstrong.
• Jesse Moroyoqui, Jacob Kowalski, William Baldwin and Matt Pastor all won in straight sets as Fitch downed Norwich Free Academy 7-0 in the ECC Large. Fitch is 10-5, 5-3. NFA is 1-15, 0-8.
• Sophia Shi, Melinda Li, Katherine Wu and Lisa Gao won singles matches in East Lyme's 6-1 victory over Woodstock Academy, which gave each team, as well as Fitch, a share of the ECC Large Division title. East Lyme defeated Woodstock twice this season, but was swept by Fitch, while Woodstock won both matches against Fitch, leaving all three teams 6-2 in the division. Shruti Alavala and Jenny Tang won at No. 1 doubles for East Lyme (10-3).
• Jingxuan Huang won her No. 1 singles match 6-2, 6-0 to lead Fitch to a 6-1 victory over NFA and a share of the ECC Large Division title. Bea Asuncion, Kailey Sullivan and Laura Krick also won singles matches for Fitch. Kristina Jacobs and Lauren Jacobs won at No. 1 doubles for NFA (0-15, 0-8).
• Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr, Lexi Moger and Francisca Secor won singles matches as Waterford topped Killingly 7-0 to finish its ECC Medium Division schedule undefeated. Waterford (14-0, 8-0), has one more regular season match remaining Wednesday at Woodstock. Jessica Hudson and Katie Lewis led a doubles sweep for the Lancers.
• Hannah Fabianski, Emily Gardiner, Taylor Startz and Claire Morehouse won singles matches to lift Stonington past Bacon Academy 7-0 in the ECC Medium Division. Gina Feliciano and Morgan Parrilla won at No. 1 doubles for the Bears (8-3, 4-2).
• Meredith Aird won the No. 1 singles match 6-0, 6-1 as Old Lyme swept Morgan 7-0. Meghan Trausch, Mikayla Bellaria and Marissa Smith also won at singles for Old Lyme.
• Singles wins by Mia Ferguson, Meagan McAdams and Martha Mena keyed Montville to a 5-2 win over Griswold in the ECC Small Division. The Indians (4-9, 3-4) also earned doubles wins from their top two teams, Laura Huapaya-Claire Rummel and Sarah Warykas-Kayla Andrews.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES